Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating olive trees from cuttings

Posted by simmonds z8a TX (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 13:46

I tried to propagate several different cultivars of olives from cuttings and none of them took. I used an automatic mist system and a rooting hormone and they all died. Does any one have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating olive trees from cuttings

auto mist system may actually keep them too wet.
be sure to use the thickest twig/branch you can get of wood that is one year old. do not use the part where leaves are, but the lower thicker portion.
plant at least 4 inches below soil line, and no more than 2 or 3 growth nodes above soil line
plant them on a 30 degree angle, not straight up and down.
the root compound is a good idea, be sure you have powder in direct contact with the nodes that are below soil line.
good luck!

o
RE: propagating olive trees from cuttings

I had an Italian olive tree for seven years and found it very easy to get cuttings to root. I did use rooting hormone. I just cut off short pieces of branches about 10 inches long. Always used the branch ends (terminal bud section). Striped of the leaves that would be below ground in the cup. Placed the cuttings dipped in the rooting hormone in soft potting soil. Never sprayed or covered them. Set them up behind the front brick wall on my patio during the summer months. This wall was exposed to sunlight most of the day. Kept the potting soil moist. For every five started usually had three take. I don't have the tree anymore. A few weeks ago I gave it to a friend of mine who has a hot house. I could never get it to flower even keeping it indoors under lights during the cold season.
Lou NE., PA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here