Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodstockfenceguy

blackberries and best blueberry pics after first year

woodstockfenceguy
12 years ago

We are supossed to get our first freeze tonight, so I decided to take a couple of pictures of the blackberries and blueberries that I planted about 1 year ago.

This is Kiowa thorny blackberry, from bare root:

{{gwi:125138}}

about 3.5-4' tall.

Triple crown thornless blackberry:

{{gwi:125139}}

A 6' and a 3' cane on each plant.

Pink lemonade from 4" pot:

{{gwi:125140}}

about 1' tall but looks healthy.

Chandler blueberry from 1 gallon pot:

{{gwi:125141}}

about 3' tall.

Josee reblooming lilac from 4" pot:

{{gwi:125142}}

about 3.5' tall

Will I get any fruit next year? I am very happy with the growth, and very confident I will get a fair amount of fruit next season.

Comments (12)

• alexander3_gw
    12 years ago

Don't know about the blueberries, but you'll get blackberries if the canes survive the winter. Are you in zone 5? I think that's iffy for Triple Crown, don't know about Kiowa. Some people lay the canes down over the winter so they are protected by snow cover, or cover them with mulch.

Alex

• woodstockfenceguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are rated to be ok down to 5, and I am in 5, I hope they dont die off. Kiowa are erect, like the wild ones here, and I dont think I can lay them down. I will lay few canes down on the triple crowns and cover with a little hay to be safe, but I hope they will make it. I know trailing types would not make winter here (unless heavily mulched), but semi erect and erect should.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

So how did they do? Of course, we had a mild winter, but I just planted TC this spring, first freeze expected tonight so I laid the canes down on the ground (was trying to tip root some anyway) and covered with burlap. But the canes aren't flat to the ground, stick up about 12", so I'm worried keeping them covered might result in breakage once we get snow?

• jtburton
    11 years ago

My Triple crown first year.

• jtburton
    11 years ago

Prime Ark45 first year. Bloomed out too late to get much.

• jtburton
    11 years ago

Thornless Boysenberry first year in a container. It had leaf spot but was starting to wind down with the colder weather.

• jtburton
    11 years ago

Silvan Blackberry at top (container) and Black Diamond (container) bottom. Both first year.

• jtburton
    11 years ago

Kiowa blackberries first year. Only blackberry to struggle this year.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Your first-year triple crown canes are very spindly; future canes will be thicker and harder to lay down for winter.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

I'm in Z6 and Tripple Crown freezes to the ground on hard winters here. Not sure how far below zero they start to freeze but you may need to keep them low and use leaves to insulate enough of canes to get a crop on what used to be normal winter there. When they freeze to the ground you get no crop that year.

• jtburton
    11 years ago

I do need to move a couple of the Triple Crown plants as I planted them too close. Is it better to move them in late Fall or the early Spring? As for the winter temperature extremes, it usually doesn't get any worse than 5 below. Last year was an anomaly as it only dropped to 16F. I'm planning on protecting the trailing blackberries but TC's and the Arkansas varieties will have to fend for themselves.

• prestons_garden
    11 years ago

I would move your plant now so it will have enough time to get re-established.