Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting dwarf citrus trees close to fence

Posted by dagger 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 14:01

I have a narrow strip yard (about 1.5 ft wide) next to 8-foot fence. And I am wondering if I can plant some dwarf citrus trees like dwarf oranges and kumquats. The fence is south-east facing and will get full sun.

Will it be okay to plant them there if I maintain the trees to smaller sizes by trimming? I've seen some citrus trees that were planted right next to fences and they seem growing fine. And dwarf citrus trees I checked will grow to 6-8 feet high, so they seem manageable.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting dwarf citrus trees close to fence

You can easily prune your citrus, in most cases, with a clear trunk up about 6 feet, so the bulk of the tree clears the solid fence, and is in full sun. The roots should adapt well to the space you have. Al

o
RE: planting dwarf citrus trees close to fence

dagger, you certainly should be able to grow citrus in this manner and space. I would make sure you purchase trees on a significantly dwarfing rootstock not just semi-dwarf trees. Four Winds Fruit Growers put nearly all their citrus on very dwarfing rootstock, Cuban Shaddock. This will help to keep the trunk diameter down for you, as well as the mature height. As Al has mentioned, you can prune for both height and shape. Just make sure not to over-prune, as you'll prune off your flowers & future fruit (citrus flower at the ends of their branches). Citrus are often used as lovely screens along fence lines and serve well as double duty - screening and fruit. Plus, they don't litter much, so they do make a very nice screening option if you can wait a bit for them to "grow up". Also, just so you know, there is a Citrus Forum on GW, where your question might better addressed.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Growers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here