Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries and sun or lack of

Posted by jschway 38654 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 14:18

I planted two blueberry bushes this fall.

My question is: They get very little sun in the fall and winter but lots of sun in the spring and summer.(I think)

Will this hinder their fruit production?

They are on raised beds
Climax and premier
Im in the south and the day temps get in the 30s in the winter and 50 in the fall

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries and sun or lack of

Jschway,

Your bushes will go into dormant soon and the lack of sun won't hurt them.

o
RE: Blueberries and sun or lack of

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 15:18

Blueberries need full sun, all day, for the best fruit production. However, they will green up and grow OK in less than optimum sunlight, if the soil pH and moisture are correct. Full sun, half-day conditions will still allow considerable fruit production, maybe a quart or two on a 5 year old shrub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here