Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuck60

Red Ace Plum

chuck60
9 years ago

I have a Red Ace plum that I planted in 2005 which gave the first really good harvest this year. I think it made fruit in earlier years, but neither it nor the Ozark Premier I planted at the same time ever had good crops that weren't eaten up by bugs, so I never paid as much attention to them as I should have. This year I had a plague (really, a PLAGUE) of Japanese beetles, and to control them I had to spray multiple times with Sevin. I know, I know, I should not spray Sevin indescriminately, but either I sprayed or I would have had completely stripped trees. Anyway, this year we got some absolutely fabulous Red Ace plums. So incredibly sweet and juicy that SWMBO has told me I must plant more. Here's the rub. I got the plums from Stark Bros, which no longer carries them. A search on Red Ace plum turns up the information that the variety is difficult to grow and produces poorly. Anyone grow it? Know a good source for the trees? Is Red Heart anywhere near as good? Other suggestions for really good plums that will pollinate Red Ace and whatever other plum I might decide on?

Chuck

Comment (1)