Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Urgent Help. What is Wrong with This Cantaloupe? Hydro DWC

Posted by GrowItFromSeed 11b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 14:41

Hello all. Someone please help me understand what is going on with this DWC cantaloupe. As can be seen, the leaves are lightening up. I live in the Dominican Repub so I do not have access to all the ferts of back home. I am using a 20-20-20 right now. Do I need to add more? Is there some nutrient missing? Maybe it is a pH issue? I have no idea what the pH is. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Urgent Help. What is Wrong with This Cantaloupe? Hydro D

I've never grown a melon of any description but I'm wondering why it isn't out in the garden yet. It seems to have a flower bud but is still in its seedling container. I don't think it needs fertiliser I think it needs space and soil. That's if it's the right time of year for it to grow in your region.

o

florauk

Thanks for the reply. This melon is in a 5 gallon bucket and is being grown hydroponically. It has plenty of space for roots.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 18:23

A hydroponic melon will need fertilizer dissolved in the water. That gets very complicated with nutrient concentrations and pH. It also needs the right media.

The plant shown is probably short on nitrogen but could also be more than that.

o

May find help in the Hydroponics Forum
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/hydro/

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydroponics Forum

o

I see. Hydroponics is an entirely different method of growing so you'd probably do better on the Forum indicated above.

o

Thanks. I will post the thread there!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here