Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which mail order company best to order fruit trees from

Posted by blooms2007 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 07 at 14:45

I am looking for the best mail order nurserys to order fruit trees from???????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which mail order company best to order fruit trees from

blooms, I've planted 30 fruit trees this past spring, my first trees btw. I liked Gurneys the best out of five different suppliers.
Their bareroot trees are 36" with good root systems. I had them replace one dead tree by only calling and saying it died and they will reship a new tree. Last week I received from Gurneys a potted 40" Ambrosia pear. Not one leaf has fallen or turned brown and we had five days of up to 85' degree sun. Gurneys has limited selection as compared to the wholsale/retail fruit tree growers. 35% off this weekend. For instance a Chojuro pear costs $24 each including shipping. Raintree charges $50 for an asian pear delivered. I still ordered from Raintree two 3 X 1 asian pear trees for $106 delivered next spring. My Korean Giant Asian pear I bought from Gurneys grew 5 feet this season. My Flat Wonderful peach tree grew 5 feet, from Gurneys. Never buy from Autumn Ridge nursery, they send dead trees. I am going to drive to Cummins fruit tree Nursery in upstate New York this spring. I want to plant a few more pear trees around our cabin upstate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gurneys Pears

o

blooms...depends upon what kind of fruit tree you are looking to get.

I like Burnt Ridge Nursery, Valley Vista Kiwis (not just for kiwi), Edible Landscaping and St. Lawrence Nursery (and probably in that order) but depending upon what I'm looking for I sometimes have to choose another nursery.

Check the watchdog before ordering from a company with whom you have no or limited experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden watchdog

o

Blooms:

You will receive more and better suggestions if you:
1. Specify your location; more precise than zone 5. No salesman will call.
2. Tell us what type of fruit trees you intend to plant (i.e. apples, pears, peaches, apricots etc.).
3. How many of each would you like to plant.

The best sources for one type of tree might not be the best for another. There are many good, reliable nurseries all across the country, and, quite often, ordering from one that is nearby will get you trees better adapted to your location. And, as Ace says, there are definately some mailorder/online nurseries to be avoided, and Autumn Ridge is one of them. Some of the better nurseries have a minimum number of trees that must be ordered at one time, others have no minimum. There are differences in price, but usually not dramatic differences, and sometime the higher priced trees are still the best buy because they are just better trees.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

I have had mixed results from ordering by mail ...

I have ordered from Guerneys & had good results from some things but from some fruit trees I have found that after a few years of waiting til they bore fruit I then realized it was not the variety or size (not dwarf but instead full size!) I'd ordered at all! Of course by then any warranty was gone! I haven't ordered trees from Park's but otherwise we have had excellant results from their things & they are very willng to replace anything arriving in poor condition, etc. But it is the only way to get certain varieties not carried by our local nurseries, unfortunately & I still do it!

o

My favorite irregardless of location and plant type is ediblelandscaping.com. The potted (not bareroot) plants they sell are smaller to start with, but really take off and surpass bareroot.

o

I order all my fruit trees and vines from Burnt Ridge Nursery. Check them out you'll like them as well.
Jim

o

What are you looking for?

My list of mail-order nurseries I normally use for pome and stone fruits are:

Burnt Ridge, Onalaska, WA
1-360-985-2873
www.burntridgenursery.com

C & O Nursery, Wenatchee, WA
1-800-232-2636
www.c-onursery.com

Raintree, Morton, WA
1-360-496-6400
www.raintreenursery.com

Van Well Nursery, Wenatchee, WA
1-800-572-1553
www.vanwell.net

C&O and Van Well are big nurseries geared more towards commercial orchardists, but they will accept small orders at non-commerical prices.

o

ONE GREEN WORLD has worked very well for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here