Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cider Apples

Posted by drpraetorius 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 14:58

I am looking for apple varieties to make sweet cider. My understanding is that a better cider is made from a combination of apple varieties rater than just one. I currently have a Winesap and a Golden Delicious. I plan to add a Rome for sauce. That will give me room for two additional varieties. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cider Apples

First, can you tell us what region of the country you are in?

Cider apples tend to be a regional crop and produce best in their native region. Down here in Central VA zone 7, my recommendations would be an Albemarle Pippin (Newton Pippin) and an Ashmead's Kernel. Both are great all around apples for eating and cider. The Ashmead's Kernel has a strong following and is a bit more of a general purpose apple than the Albemarle Pippin. The Albemarle Pippin can be used to make a single variety cider, though as you said, blended ciders tend to be more common than single variety ciders.

An excellent expert on Cider apples is Tom Burford, who really helped get the cider industry established in Virginia. You can buy his book(s) online and see articles he has been interviewed for about the cider industry.

Michael Phillips' book "The Apple Grower" is a great source about organic apple growing and cider production with an emphasis on Northern cider apples.

Best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here