Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nut trees from arborday.org

Posted by BrittneyT2 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 15:13

Anyone purchased nut trees from arborday.org? I'm looking at buying some American Hazelnut trees and am curious if anyone had success with them. Their price is so much lower than others...so I'm not sure if it's just that the trees are smaller or if the quality isn't as high.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nut trees from arborday.org

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 17:48

Quality is probably difficult to obtain when dumpster diving in the back of other nurseries to obtain ones nursery stock, haha someone can correct me if I am wrong about this. But go look at gardenwatchdog, a lot of negatives about getting dead stock. Sending money to arborday is more about a cozy , warm feeling, not the actual product.

o

Many years ago before I knew anything about trees and nurseries, I wanted a flowering tree. The only place I knew was Arbor Day so I ordered it. With my order, I got 10 free trees. What a deal!!

I received a skinny tree (2 ft tall) and the free trees were tiny pine trees (about a ft tall). My tree died. I could not remember if it's a Dogwood. The pine trees I gave to someone I know. She said they grew well for her.

I've never ordered a nut tree from Arbor Day and probably will not.

There are several nurseries that sells better quality trees. From the top of my head, Burnt Ridge nursery sells nut trees.

I'm glad you ask before you place your order.

o

if you want cheap hazels you might try the Precocious Hazelnut from Oikos, i haven't grown it myself, but i saw a few st a friend's house grow from tiny starts to a 10' fruiting hedge in 3 years. Lots of tasty nuts in only 3 years is hard to come by.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Oikos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here