Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit tree to espalier with partial shade?

Posted by LilyBrianne 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 15:23

I'm hoping to find a fruit tree that will do well in partial shade (it would be planted on the west side of my house which receives filtered sunlight due to a large but spindly tree). I have done a lot of research but am struggling to find a fruit tree that will do alright in the shade. I am planning on growing in a large container so that I can bring it to shelter during the winter, I've heard some plum varieties may do well in shade but I was really hoping I might be able to find a citrus or something more exotic since we already have an abundance of plum and apricot growing on our farm. Has anyone had good experiences growing citrus trees in partial shade?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit tree to espalier with partial shade?

I would grow a gooseberry or currant. They are a bush and can be fan pruned. They will fruit less in the shade but will produce tasty fruits. My favorite is the Poorman gooseberry. It is not very productive in the shade but the taste is excellent when left to hang to be a dull purple. Pawpaws are one other option, they are natural shade trees. The production will be limited in the shade but I am fine with limited production since I can't eat too many of them. I tried several other fruits in the shade and did not get good results.

Scott

o

Thanks!

o

Raspberries may do well, too. It's usually recommended that they go in full sun, but I've grown both raspberries and some blackberries in partial shade without problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here