Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ripe mulberries in October in zone 6!

Posted by fabaceae_native z6 NM (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 15:28

Here's a branch of one of my mulberry trees that put on a flush of new growth after a severe hailstorm in August (I posted about that too). It subsequently flowered and fruited, and the mulberries are as abundant and flavorful as they were in the early summer.

I'll have to wait and see how this affects the tree next spring, if at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ripe mulberries in October in zone 6!

Interesting! I wonder if this could be accomplished by summer pruning as well?

Alex

o

That's exactly what I was thinking Alex. I noticed the tree quickly grew larger than it was before the hailstorm and appears no worse for the "pruning". Of course it is self-fertile so there was no concern about pollination, which could be an issue with a second crop in some trees.

I would probably do it a bit earlier than the hailstorm (which came mid-August) because as you can see from the photo, some of the berries are not ripe and we're headed for some lows in the 20's later this week.

o

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 18:54

What variety is it?

o

I wish I knew the variety. It was sold as unnamed Morus nigra, but is totally different from my M. nigra 'black beauty' trees. All I know is that it does not have a pollinator, and produces small, seedless, very tasty berries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here