Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

'Issai' Kiwi seeds--misleading ads?

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

Hi,

I've noticed recently that there are a number of places selling 'Issai' kiwi seeds. The suggestion is that they will give female, self-fertile plants. I assume this is misleading, and would like to get the feedback of others.

As far as I'm aware 'Issai' produces seedless fruit unless there is a pollinator. So any seedlings produced will be a mix of male and female. It will be several years and large vines until this can be sorted out.

Issai is thought to be a hybrid of Actinidia arguta and another species. Wikipedia suggests that the other parent is polygama, although I've seen other suggestions. So, assuming the male parent is A. arguta, the seedlings would be (Actinidia arguta x polygama?) x Actinidia arguta. This is pretty far removed from the 'Issai' strain.

Would there be any reason at all to expect that the female seedlings would have a stronger tendency to be self-fertile? I don't know anything about the genetics of this, but I would assume not. Does anyone know anything different?

So I assume that if one shells out money for these seeds one can expect a mix of female and male, with female plants that are not self fertile.

I hate to see people ripped off and I would appreciate any input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of an Issai Kiwi seed ad

Comments (2)