Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help IDing Apple Tree, Please

Posted by erikarochelle (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 15:43

I bought a random unlabeled apple tree from a sale bin for $5 three years ago. It's finally produced one full-sized apple. Does anyone have any clue what variety this might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help IDing Apple Tree, Please

Side view.

o

The people who really know what they're talking about will say it's hard to identify by sight alone. But it looks alot like my Liberty apples. It's a macintosh relative with a little more tartness than macs. It could be another apple also.

o

Definitely looks like it could be Liberty- That good, rich, deep red (almost black) recalls the heritage of Liberty apple. I think it is heavy in Macoun, Detroit Black, Fameuse- so dark on the outside, bright white on the inside (although often streaked with red inside in my experience.)

If it's really tasty and a mediocre keeper, ripens midseason and is remarkably disease free, but attracts codling moth, it could well be Liberty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here