Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Few questions about avocado

Posted by FarmerArmband (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 15:46

I recently bought a hass avocado tree from a local nursery and it's about 8-9 feet tall. I kept it in the pot for about a week until the weather cooled down to about high 70s (in Los Angeles). After transplanting a few days ago, I watered well but now I'm noticing a lot of the leaves drooping. I realize that it might be from transplant shock.

1) how long should I expect to wait before it gets better?
2) what can I do to make sure there is nothing else causing the droop?
3) I read somewhere on here that it is best to have the root crown exposed so it can take in oxygen, is this true? What more information is there on this?

Il upload some pics when I get home later today. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Few questions about avocado

Very will could be transplant shock. Avocado trees have very, very fragile feeder roots and do not like them disturbed. When you plant, you MUST carefully lay your tree on it's side, carefully slide of the pot, then lower the tree into the hole by holding the soil ball, NOT by grasping the trunk. You will break the feeder roots if you do that. It will come back. Just be sure to keep the soil moist, but not drenched. They don't tolerate really wet feet. Planting the tree so that the trunk in higher than the water well is important. Yes, do not plant too deeply, or you can end up with gummiosis. Be sure not to remove any dropped leaves, as they like their own leaf mulch. Fertilize lightly every month with an avocado/citrus fertilizer.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here