Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nc_orchard

Surprise Apple Variety

nc_orchard
11 years ago

I was excited this year to get some apples on my Fuji tree for the first time. Come end of September when I expected them to be ready for harvest, they were still completely green. No red color whatsoever. Many were covered in Sooty Blotch and Fly Spec and I thought that could be causing the failure to color properly, but I had some that I put in ziplocs that showed minimal Sooty Blotch and Fly Spec, but they were still green too. I left the apples on the tree thinking they were not ripe yet, but first of October they started to drop. I picked them all, and they seemed to taste OK. Not sure if they tasted like a Fuji.

Do I not have a Fuji tree, or is there another potential reason for the apples not coloring up? Would it have anything to do with this being the first crop on a three year old tree?

Also, the tree was purchased from Willis Orchard before I started reading this forum and new better, so authenticity of the variety may be of question.

If it's not a Fuji, it's upsetting as I've been waiting a while for these to fruit and don't want to have to replace them.

Comments (4)