Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltilton_gw

Brown mamorated stink bug

ltilton
10 years ago

I could have sworn I'd seen a lot of discussion of these on this forum, but search reveals nothing.

Of course it might help if I SPELLED it right!

Just found one, which means that next year more won't be far behind.

This post was edited by ltilton on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 20:09

Comments (8)

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Don Yellman's crop got wiped out by them 3 seasons ago and that is when they were discussed here- he was crushed because they went right through his plastic bags and destroyed his entire crop.

Their MO is highly mysterious and although I'm seeing them in my house I saw none on fruit in any orchards I manage. Also saw them on two maples I cut down. Every stinkbug I've seen on fruit this year has either been green stinkbugs or squash stinkbugs. Those caused quite a bit of damage on my pears, it appears.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The one I saw was trying to break into the house. But I'd like to be prepared for next year, if they cause trouble.

It seems they were only first identified in my county last year.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Not much prep needed. They land all over your fruit you spray with a pyrethroid- unless you want to use Surround. I suppose you could use traps to give yourself a heads up. Odds are, they won't be an issue, IMO.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I hope not. Had a super wonderful fruit year, best I ever had with no insect pressure but have seen a few of those nasty little beasts last week. Hate to think after growing organically all these years I'll have to start spraying for those.

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Its spelled marmorated. Search BMSB, thats the common shorthand.

I have had them for four years now I think. One year they were really bad and the rest they were just annoying. I have yet to spray for them but I do squish 'em and keep eyes peeled for eggs. The most serious damage is on pears, they prefer them and they do horrible damage. Both asian and European are vulnerable.

Scott

• patapscomike
    10 years ago

We had them BAD last year in central MD, pulled all my tomatoes early because they were covered with BMSB's and every apple was full of marks (they laugh at plastic bags). This year they are no problem at all. Go figure. I hope that the truly bad year was the boom year, and that they won't ever be quite as bad again.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

That was how green stink bugs were here last year except not on the apples- all over tomatoes, peaches and pears though. The greens have long been in the complex here but for over 20 years I never saw them in any orchards I manage. Last year they were a huge problem in mine and one other out of 100+ orchards I manage. They were a minor problem in a couple others.

This year they were a bit of a problem but nothing worth spraying over. I suspect stink bugs like early springs and periods of dry warm weather. They aren't going away and will be in the cycle, I figure. In China, BMS's are not constant agricultural pests.

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Mike, it was the first year I noticed them that was my really bad year. I think predators get more cued into them in subsequent years. Spiders love 'em.

Scott

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21