Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shane11_gw

'Ruby' persimmon - a winner

shane11
11 years ago

If anyone is looking for a later ripening american persimmon the variety 'ruby' is a winner. It is very large fruited (the largest I have seen), very productive, and self fertile. I grow many american varieties and 'ruby' is the only one left in my orchard with much fruit. Most all others have been harvested. 'Ruby' is still loaded with fruit and will be into November. Also this variety never has any astringency when it drops from the tree. This cannot be said about some others. It has few seed for its size and the flavor is outstanding being very sweet. Also it seems this variety is not as upright growing as many are, but is more spreading in habit and may be a smaller variety. The fruits are also quite firm and the calyx seems to hang on to the dropped fruit making this an especially good one for anyone interested in selling the fresh fruit. If I could only grow 2 varieties it would be 'ruby' and 'early golden'. Just thought I would share since many here have interest in native persimmons.

Comments (6)