Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sorting apples for long term storage

Posted by creekweb 6,7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 16:27

This year i used a very limited spray program on my apples which gave mostly okay results but with higher incidence of minor imperfections than usual. I'm now sorting my apples and am considering which imperfections would disqualify an apple from being fit for long term (3 - 6+ month) storage. The imperfection type and approximate percentage affected are scab (up to 2 spots less than 3mm) 30%, PC scars 10%, windfalls with soft areas < 1cm with skin intact 5%, minor catfacing possibly from stinkbugs 10%. My question is whether anyone has tried to store apples with any of these conditions and has seen them to be the cause for early onset of rot.

I know I could invoke conventional wisdom and just rule out all apples with imperfections for long term storage, but I'm really not looking for advice on this decision, but instead for specific observations some of you may have had of any of these insults definitely leading to rot or not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sorting apples for long term storage

I have held apples with PC feeding scars (or so I believe they are) for several months without noticeable issue.
I would never try something witha soft spot for more than a week or two.

I find it useful to have 3 piles...culls for cider and prompt use, minor damage to be held in refrigeration and eaten within say 1 month...this is mostly a break in the skin or very minor scab, and perfect/near perfect long term cellering apples.

yellowjacket damage has been the heaviest loss this year

o

Same here. I've never put any apples damaged in those ways into storage except for the PC scars. My rule is - if the skin is broken or open, it doesn't make it into the storage pile. The PC scars are healed over by the time the apple is picked.

o

I'm seeing two types of PC scars on my apples - the early bites resulting in tan plaques and the late bites which appear as notches. The early bites appear stable and apples with these seem suitable for long term storage. Any observations on the stability of the late bite damage?

o

Don't forget caning apple pie filling is an excellent way using some of those apples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Caning

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here