Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When are Fuji apples ripe for picking?

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 16:34

My first year with a "good" yield, all 8 of them! 8-)) Last year, I had 2. You can see in the photos that there's a light blush to the fruits, are they ready? I don't want to pick them early. Thanks,
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When are Fuji apples ripe for picking?

They look awfully light yet for Fuji.

A lot depends on the variety. Traditional Fuji is a late apple. But now there are a lot of different Fujis out there - red Fujis, September Fujis, etc. You can't generalize anymore.

o

• Posted by AJBB none (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 14:57

In Phoenix, they're ripe now (October 28th) My four are crunchy with orange flesh. Similar coloration.

o

They're sweet and make good eating now, but you should leave at least a couple on the tree until later to see how they change in charachter; you can safely leave them on the tree another month without loss of quality.

Next year the tree will be loaded, and every year after that. You should start pruning to get some light into the middle of the tree, and spray oil soap for those aphids. The suckering is typical of M7 rootstock.

Applenut

o

Don't expect Fujis to color up as much in Central California as they would in Washington State.

o

I'm in the SF Bay Area, just east of Half Moon Bay.(Warm days - cool moist nights)

I have a tree with Granny Smith and Fuji's. My Fuji's were ripe about 3 weeks ago and my Granny Smith are crisp and balanced between sweet and tart now.

My Empire apple ripened late August.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here