Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctc315

Late season Rapberries.

ctc315
9 years ago

We planted our raspberry plant in early spring and it is just now bearing fruit that is ripening everyday. Is this normal? It is October and the highs are now around 65 degrees with lows in the 40's. This is our first experience with fruit bearing plants.
Thank you,
Chuck

Comments (9)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yes it is nomal. They may fruit earlier next year. often the first year they fruit late. If stressed they fruit late. What cultivar are they? Some fruit late no matter what. You need an earlier fruiting type. You could try June bearing also.
    I'm still harvesting raspberries daily. Some may not finish before frost. They will produce till frost.
    Cut the top 1/3 of plant off after frost, next year in late June the lower 2/3rd's will fruit. Or you could just remove them and only harvest a fall crop. Up to you.

• bonnan
    9 years ago

Drew; have you seen any "worms" in your berries? For the first time we have the Spotted-wing Drosophila fruit fly. Grave up picking this year and not sure what to do next year..

• ctc315
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We bought these at a roadside stand, they were $2.00 a plant, we got one Raspberry and one Blackberry. The blackberry bush grew like crazy, shot out stems that rooted in the ground, but no fruit.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Blackberry plants fruit on 2nd year canes. No, no SWD yet. I'm in suburbia, and nobody grows anything around me, plus no wild brambles around here, so far they have not found me (knocking on wood).

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

Some raspberries can take mild frosts and keep producing. A couple years ago, we had a mild November and I picked the last of the Anne raspberries in early December, a month after the garden was killed by frost. Other berries (like Prime Jan blackberries) produce right up to the frost, but stop as soon as it hits. There are also some fall bearers which seem to stop a bit early (most of my reds are done- Autumn Bitten, Caroline and Prelude).

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

There are also some fall bearers which seem to stop a bit early

I think it has to do with location. I'm slightly colder. Caroline is almost done, not yet. Prelude has a ways to go, it seems to produce the longest. Polka is almost done too, as is Himbo Top.
    Double Gold, Kiwi Gold, Anne, Fall Gold, and Crimson Night are still producing, with many berries to go.
    Fall Gold produced for awhile, but overall the smallest Fall Crop I have had. Hope it's not a trend, but just seasonal variation.

• jocelynpei
    9 years ago

We have Fall Gold too, and a heritage red unnamed. The Fall Gold is in full bore right now, and the reds are just starting. We are on PEI, in the Gulf of St Lawrence, so a bit north of you. This is normal for here. The reds in particular, will bear from late Sept or early Oct till heavy frost, early December in a mild year.
    Some varieties need the top clipped off after bearing, but the reds here don't. The top dies back, then the side brqnches out in the next spring and bears again by late July or early August, depending on how late the spring starts.

• curtis
    9 years ago

My Heritage raspberry is a machine. takes a lot of cold weather to stop it. We have had SWD the last couple years. It grosses some people out, but I just eat them. A few years ago I would not have, but more of a naturalist now. Anyway. SWD stops as temps drop, so you could just destroy the early berries, feed to dogs etc. Seems the first few nights with lows in the 50's stopped the SWD activity and you are fine from there.

• jtburton
    9 years ago

My raspberry crop is down to double gold, and there is only a handful on that planting. They taste good but haven't produced much. My Prime Ark45 blackberries are still blooming but have trailed off on production. SWD is gone but a few yellow jackets have taken up the slack. I also have a few blooms and berries on a confused Osage blackberry plant. My fruiting season has about 2 weeks or less before the typical 'first frost' date. Overall though, a good year.