Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apricot Tree Dying?

Posted by valberry 9b SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 17:08

Hello All! I really hope you can help me with this problem.

I have a 3 or 4 year old "Pixie-cot" Apricot tree in a 24-inch container on my balcony. It leafed out well last year but did not give fruit. After last season's mild winter (a "non-winter" here in the Los Angeles area) it came out of dormancy late and reluctantly-- probably lacking the chill hours it needed. It set a few fruits but they fell off after a few weeks. Since then it has been limping along in the scorching summer and fall heat. It has fewer leaves than it should and many of these look partly browned. The heat has already claimed my blueberries and raspberries--- I really want to save this tree if I can!

Tree Stats:
-Watered 1-2x a week, if soil seems dry
-Fertilized with cottonseed meal, coffee grounds, and general plant food every 1-2 months
-Potted in a custom soil mix with perlite and bark for drainage
-Gets absolutely full socal sun (poor thing), but I try to shade the pot to keep the roots cool.
-Pruned

I have no ground to plant it in, but I can do anything else, maybe an even larger pot with a different soil mix? Different fertilizer? You tell me!

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apricot Tree Dying?

valberry:

Watering 1-2x a week won't begin to work here. I need to water potted trees every day. And my trees are in a greenhouse with some shade. So I think you need to water much more. Also you probably need to repot this winter.

If you don't get enough chilling it really doesn't matter. You might want to start over with something adapted to your climate. Check with the Orange county chapter of the CA Rare Fruit Growers, CRFG. If you don't find variety recommendations there check for the San Diego chapter.

Here is a link that might be useful: CRFG Orange county

o

Thanks Fruitnut. From what I heard, my area is *supposed* to get enough chilling hours, so I suppose I will see this winter if that will be the case. I will do as you say. What sort of soil mix do you use in your pots? I know these guys like drainage.

o

Valberry:

"Pixie-cot" Apricot has an estimated chill requirement of 600 hours. That is pretty high for us Southern Californians. What location are you? There are several lower chill varieties that do great. You can check out:
www.davewilson.com/br40/br40_trees/apricots.html

You can look up chill hours in your area here:

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis Chill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here