Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuyu Persimmon Wrapped for Protection.

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 17:14

We bought this home and discovered a Fuyu Persimmon tree. The lady who sold us the house said one day the fruit was orange. Next day it was gone. This worried us because that's exactly what happened to our peach on this property!

We noticed fruit turning color, and next we noticed bite marks on a few.

I don't know anything about persimmons, never having grown or tasted one, but I do know how to protect fruit from rabbits, voles, coons, coyotes and birds.

We completely surrounded the lower branches with gopher wire about 3' high. We then attached bird netting to that and completely encased that tree! Every day the fruit gets riper with no interference with nature's critters.

It's going to be a trick for us to figure out how to get under all that and pick a nice harvest!

Next big job is to learn what to do with all that harvest!
Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuyu Persimmon Wrapped for Protection.

DD,

If you can't eat them all then dry some for winter snack.

Tony.

o

Persimmons store well (2-3 months) in a cool location. Fuyus can be eaten like an apple since the skin is not aspirent (sp). Makes a great after dinner desert.

o

Nice to know that they store well.

What is the flavor like? I did some research online and found that you should prune them off the tree close to the fruit and let them sit a couple days. Is that correct?

Thanks!
Suzi

o

The taste is similar to cantelope, a little bland and sweet. When properly ripe they are quite tasty. I face a problem on my tree with crows and racoons eating them. I have a neighbor who placed paper bags over the fruit to keep the crows off. For the best results, the fruit should turn orange while on the tree. Harvest them after that, but they are best eaten when they start to get soft. The only reason that I prune my tree is to control the shape (cut off the lower limbs to keep the fruit from weighing them down too low) and to remove limbs growing inside and interupting the sun from other limbs. Whe harvesting, I cut the twig close to the fruit and then place the fuit in paper bags in a cool basement for storage. We often eat one after the evening meal as desert, much like the Italians.

o

You can slice them evenly and put in a dehydrator and they are pretty good.

Not being a big fan of them, I don't worry about protecting the fruit at all. But you might find it easier to put a rat ring on the truck of tin to keep the climbing critters out. The crows like them as much as the rats. They are easier to pick if you clip the steams rather than try and yank the fruit off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here