Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyinsandiego

The most abused fig tree in the world...

sunnyinsandiego
10 years ago

Okay maybe not, but this poor tree has been through quite a bit! Looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree...

This Black Mission fig tree was a gift, in a 5 gallon pot from the nursery... unfortunately we were headed out of town so though I put it into a shaded spot under an overhang on our front porch, it endured a weekend of 95+ temps and Santa Ana winds. I had drenched it before we left but it was sadly quite crispy by the time we got it home.

Husband planted it in the ground (with compost mixed in and mulch on top) and gave it a good soaking, but all the rest of the leaves fell off very shortly after. They were crunchy and brown -- VERY dry. There were actually some fruit still clinging to the tree, but I went ahead and removed those in the hopes that it would help the tree survive. It's been fairly mild for the week since, 70s and occasionally low 80s, and we've been watering every other day or so.

There are what look to be greenish buds mostly on the branch tips... does this poor tree still stand a chance? The nursery will take it back if it dies, but I don't know if I should give up just yet...

Comments (5)