Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Borers Likelihood?

Posted by ramble 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 18:05

What is the likelihood that plums/cherries would get the borer? I'm in NJ.

And what available chemical to prevent them if necessary?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Borers Likelihood?

My plums have gotten borers in Maryland so I would say its possible. I think having peaches nearby helped get the plums infested.

I just dig 'em out. Lorsban (sic?) is the standard chemical treatment.

Scott

o

Do malathion or methoxychlor or once and done work?

o

Scott, can home orchardists buy Lorsban? I didn't think so. Let me know please, Mrs. G

o

Permethrin will work as a trunk spray to deter borers and is available to home gardeners.

o

I saw Lorsban on the internet. But it was in large quantity and expensive.

This post was edited by ramble on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 20:50

o

Swamp

When do you apply the Permethrin ? Now, later in the fall or winter or in the spring?

Thanx
Mike

o

Good article talking Permethrin

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado State-----Borers

o

I apply the permethrin as a trunk and lower scaffold spray to peaches, plums, cherries, and apples beginning at the end of May and extending through early August, using it about once every three weeks. Leaning toward the higher rate is a good idea, but as always follow the label directions as best you can.

Cornell University publishes a weekly newsletter called Scaffolds during the growing season. It is not intended to be used as a spray schedule but we can get a good idea when the borers are active in the Northeast from their trap catches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scaffolds

This post was edited by swampsnaggs on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 19:12

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here