Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit trees in raised beds?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 18:18

Yes I know that raised beds are container gardening; however since my question IS about growing fruit trees, I figured this would be the best forum to post this thread.

I'd like to grow dwarf fruit trees in raised beds. Is this possible? If so, how big would the raised bed need to be (with length, width, and depth).

Below are a list of varieties of fruit trees I'd be interested in growing:

*Persimmon (Japanese variety)
*Lemon
*Apple
*Pear
*Mango
*Orange
*Pomegranate (not sure on this one)
*Peach
*Banana

Please note that I don't plan to grow all of these types of fruit trees all at once. Also, if possible I'd like to get self-pollinating varieties of fruit trees. It would just make things simpler.

Most trees according to the sites I've found, they're shipped as 'bare roots'. What does this mean?

Also, typically how old are fruit trees when they're shipped, and how long will it take the tree to bare fruit once it's planted?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit trees in raised beds?

Well, raised beds aren't really container gardening because the plants roots can penetrate into the ground. A container is closed at the bottom. Raised beds are very good if you have poor drainage. You can grow any tree in a raised bed, a lot of people just make a mound instead because it's easier.

A lot of the plants you want should be in containers because of your zone (5a). Citrus, Tropicals, Sub Tropicals will have to be brought inside for the winter.

From your list I would stick with just apple, pear, and peach for raised beds. The other ones need to be containers for your zone.

Bare Root means the tree is dormant (no leaves, no growing), kind of a hibernation period. They are shipped without any soil. It will look like a dead stick with roots at the bottom when you get it.

o
RE: fruit trees in raised beds?

I forgot to mention that the purpose of this thread is for future reference. Sorry for not clarifying this in the initial post.

I don't plan to grow fruit trees now; I don't have the money to construct the raised beds, nor do I have the money to purchase the fruit trees.

Ideally, the zones I'd like to grow the fruit trees I listed above is 7, 8, or 9; I'm not sure which I haven't decided yet. However, I do know it would be in a southern area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here