Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dennis1983

I got peach tree

dennis1983
9 years ago

Hi

I bought peach tree now and planted it today. It is peach tree in pot. I put it in ground so that trunk is above soil and graft union is soil level. Peach book said put it same level as in nursery. I try again to get peach tree growing here, i know i have said it earlier but i try again. I think one of my peach tree died because i planted it too deep, graft union was below soil line. I guess it has something to do that it didn't get oxygen when planted too deep or something.

I think it is little late to plant peach tree, nights are now longer than days because we just little time ago crossed equinox in northern hemishphere. I gave it about 4 U.S.A. gallon water when i planted it to establish before winter. My peach trees had leaves when i got it. Let's see if this now works and peach tree can establish it before winter arrives, so it can survive winter.

Comments (10)

• Tha Pranksta
    9 years ago

Personally, I would not put the graft union at soil level. Trees tend to sink in the hole a little as the soil settles over time and you don't want to have the same issue happen again. Typically you should aim to plant your tree at a level at least slightly higher than the nursery planted it because it just ensures that it won't be too low in the planting hole later on.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thapranksta hi

I didn't think that way trees can lower in hole, as you said it. Adams county nursery site says bud union should be 2 inches above soil and just above soil for peaches. I have graft union above ground, i measured it 4 cm above soil. That is about 1,5 inches. That vary little bit what height of graft union you measure it, lower part of or upper part of graft union. You said slightly above, now it is about little bit above. Graft union is quite low on trunk, so can't make graft union much above soil. I think it is still much better than my previous peach which had graft union below soil. I have now read graft union should be above soil. You put your peach tree graft union above soil? Or did you just gave your information without your own peach tree? Your information sounds good in common way based on what i have read on book and internet on this. Hopefully this works and my peach tree surviver winter.

• Tha Pranksta
    9 years ago

I've got a single Red Haven peach tree of my own and my graft is probably about 1.5-2 inches above the soil. I'm not sure of the exact measurement. My tree grows like a weed! It sounds like you have done a good job with planting it. Your tree would not likely sink so much as the soil settles that the graft union gets buried.

I guess the only other thing you should want to pay attention to is that the site you have is not swampy or constantly wet. Peach trees don't like wet feet. You've probably read that already.

Once your peach tree starts growing, the pruning will be a task in itself. They put on TONS of growth each year. As soon as you find out that it has made it through the winter, read up on how to prune a peach tree for an open center. Do you know what rootstock your peach tree was grafted on? The rootstock determines the ultimate size of your tree.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thapranksta hi

Thanks for saying you saying that i did it good job planting my peach tree, it feels good to know it. It is relief to know that i don't need to worry so much, you know. My peach tree is Red Heaven variety. You got same variety too i see. It is the standard peach variety which other is compared to. Compared in ripening time i mean. You have your graft union same height as mine, it is in line what i have read on internet and book about this. I have read peach grow a lot, i think it depends on what rootstock it is. What rootsock you have your peach tree? I guess it is Lovell or some other peach rootstock. U.S.A. use frequently peach rootstock in peach trees.

I have read peach trees don't like wet feet. Yes i have read that already, as you said it. I don't know how wet our soil is, years vary some have more rainfall than others. It is hard to say, how our rainfall is in regarding thinking peaches. I think we don't have a lot of rain, but not in very dry either.

I have read about prunning open center, i think now in fall is not good idea prune tree. If you prune in fall you may get winter damage and peach tree can be more vulnerable to diseases. I think right time is in winter spring, when coldest weather has been passed, but before leaves emerge in spring if you need to prune your tree.

I don't know what rootstock is my peach tree, but i asked for it. Let's see what they answer. I think i need to put net around my peach tree, so rabbit wouldn't bite in winter. Yes rootstock determine peach tree size, you are right.

• Tha Pranksta
    9 years ago

Mine is a Lovell rootstock. Actually I've found that I'm ok with doing 90-100% of my pruning toward the end of summer because it also helps me to better control the height of the tree. I only prune in the Spring time to catch up with anything I may have missed. You'll find conflicting reports on pruning practices but early spring and mid to late summer are definitely the best times to avoid injuring your tree and will allow you to harvest fruit.

Good luck and see you around!

This post was edited by thapranksta on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 13:44

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanpranksta hi

I got your peach tree rootstock right i see. I got answer and my red heavean peach tree is on St Julien a rootstock. Message said st julien, but i think it is st julien a. I think your prunning times are about right, you can prune in summer i think if you want. I think you are in warm zone so you don't have cold winters, that will hurt peach tree too much so that can give you some extra to choose prunning times to your peach tree.

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Hi Dennis, I am so happy that you're trying another peach tree. By the time the earth settles around your tree the union graft will be above the ground at least an inch or two. I plant all of my fruit trees with the graft union at least three inches above ground. Good luck! Mrs. G

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MrsG47 hi

Thanks of words of saying i try again peach tree. I know peaches are good when they come from your own tree. Better than those in store. I guess it depends how much above ground graft union you can put it what height graft union is. Do you peach tree still have leaves? My peach tree have leaves still.

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Yes, Dennis all of my peach trees still have leaves. The only trees losing leaves are my plums, but very slowly. Mrs. G

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MrsG47 hi

O.K. to know your peach tree have too leaves on it.