Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Improved Autumn Olive varieties

denninmi
13 years ago

I bought two of these from Hidden Springs Nursery in the spring of 2009. They both have a small handful of fruit this year. I am VERY impressed with them -- sweet/tart, nice flavor, only a slight astringency (and, I want to see if that goes away after frost, IF I can resist eating them first).

Overall, I think these are very similar to a pomegranate kernel in flavor, although the texture is soft and almost gummy, whereas a pom kernel is more crispy crunchy.

We have wild autumn olive around here, some are decent in flavor, others are very astringent.

I have 'Brilliant Rose' and 'Jewel'.

Comments (8)

• organic_mescalito
    13 years ago

I'd be interested in hearing about the flavor and sweetness of the different varieties mentioned above.

• lkz5ia
    13 years ago

Hello, I'm not sure how mine are different, pretty much all tasted similar enough I never noticed a different flavor. But I have read in places before that charlie's golden is more average on flavor, but I think was selected more for its color.

Also from what I understand, this was the last year that Hidden Springs nursery could offer their autumn olive cultivars because of the nazi state they reside in. So all that work Hector Black did selecting them, will no longer benefit future people that want to test out his specific cultivars.
    One green world has 3 of their own cultivars listed, so people still will be able to try some even though hidden springs is no longer in the game.

Here is a link that might be useful: banned

• denninmi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also saw that in the Hidden Springs nursery. Apparently, TN has banned the sale or cultivation of autumn olive. It's a shame.

I can understand in principle the theory, but in practice, does this do ANYTHING. IMO, at best, it is only delaying the inevitable, since the plant is very well established already in many places and spreads easily.

Here in Michigan, our brilliant legislators banned Purple Loosestrife back in the 1990's. It is a highly invasive plant that takes over aquatic ecosystems. BUT, the thing was, they banned its sale and cultivation AFTER the plant was already growing wall to wall across the state. The ban has done NOTHING of practical value -- there is just as much of it here as there ever was. But, it did force perennial growers like Walter's Gardens (a big wholesale grower) to throw out their cultivated varieties, most of which are self-sterile anyway.

• armyofda12mnkeys
    12 years ago

PS i was curious that Rolling River had Hidden Springs varieties and asked about them... I was informed by them that the HS autumn olives that they carry were made from cuttings if anyone was looking for them:

"Yeh, we were lucky to get these varieties before they were closed down by the state regs. We are only propagating them from cuttings. We did get a Brilliant Rose too, but later and should have a few by next fall. We have 5 Jewells recently potted up that should be sellable by June, and then will have a bunch by the fall."

• jplayland
    11 years ago

Any idea where we can still get the Hidden Springs cultivars? I don't see them of Rolling River.

• armyofda12mnkeys
    11 years ago

Hey jplayland...
    Rolling River offers these (they are sold out but you can def get for next fall by calling Marc over there and reserving):
    On the website you can see they have Charlies Golden, Delightful, Jewell, and by next fall might have some Brilliant Rose.

I just planted some of the old Hidden Springs Nursery varieties Rolling River Nursery carries plus a few more. Wanted to try a plant that would do alright in the part shade. Its under a pine tree now and seems to be doing well even with the slightly acidic soil/less sun.

• Selim
    9 years ago

I'm looking for yellow fruited autumn olive cuttings, seedlings or seeds. Can anyone helps me please?

Best wishes.