Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krispex_gw

can any one tell me what kind of fruit this is

krispex
10 years ago

ive been trying to figure out what this is for a year. is smells good. when they fall off of the tree and start rotting the bees really like them. if you cut it in half it has 2 rather large seeds in side.

Comments (9)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

It looks like a Persimmon. Brady

• krispex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is what the inside looks like

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Dead ripe they are quite good and deer go crazy for them....slightly under ripe and they will pucker your mouth closed:)

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

The one in the photo definitely looks under ripe to me. Native persimmons are awful when they're under ripe. Generally they're ripe when they fall off the tree, but I would definitely avoid any firm ones. The best persimmons may look nearly rotten.

• northraleighguy
    10 years ago

That's definitely underripe. You want them to look deeper orange, almost bordering on purplish. You know they're ripe when they are almost falling off the tree. Some people eat them off the ground, but you don't know how long they've been there and sometimes ants or other insects are going to town on them. I like to give the tree a gentle shake and the ones that fall off are *usually* perfect to eat. They'll be mushy and it's a pain getting the skin off (usually you just want to eat the pulp) but the flavor is totally worth it.

• Bushwhacker Blood
    9 years ago

You can also overnight them in a freezer to get rid of the astringency

• cousinfloyd
    9 years ago

Bushwhacker, that may work with Asian persimmons, but I'm 99+% sure it doesn't work with native persimmons like in the photo.

• thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
    9 years ago

nope. I'm 100% sure that won't work.