Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can any one tell me what kind of fruit this is

Posted by krispex none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 18:28

ive been trying to figure out what this is for a year. is smells good. when they fall off of the tree and start rotting the bees really like them. if you cut it in half it has 2 rather large seeds in side.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can any one tell me what kind of fruit this is

It looks like a Persimmon. Brady

o

this is what the inside looks like

o

Kris,

Brady was correct. It is a native persimmon D. Virginiana. You can pulp the soft ripe ones to make persimmon bread or pudding. ENJOY!!!

Tony

o

Dead ripe they are quite good and deer go crazy for them....slightly under ripe and they will pucker your mouth closed:)

o

The one in the photo definitely looks under ripe to me. Native persimmons are awful when they're under ripe. Generally they're ripe when they fall off the tree, but I would definitely avoid any firm ones. The best persimmons may look nearly rotten.

o

That's definitely underripe. You want them to look deeper orange, almost bordering on purplish. You know they're ripe when they are almost falling off the tree. Some people eat them off the ground, but you don't know how long they've been there and sometimes ants or other insects are going to town on them. I like to give the tree a gentle shake and the ones that fall off are *usually* perfect to eat. They'll be mushy and it's a pain getting the skin off (usually you just want to eat the pulp) but the flavor is totally worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here