Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
armyofda12mnkeys

How are Mirabelles and Green Gages on the East Coast (Phila, PA)

armyofda12mnkeys
11 years ago

Hey all,

I was thinking about growing some Green Gages and Mirabelles after reading their descriptions. I was curious if any would do well in area like Philadelphia with humid summers.

I did see some good Green Gage chit-chat here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0417355211293.html

Could 1 Green Gage and a 1 Mirabelle pollinate each other?

I saw advice on RainTree to just buy another Green Gage variety. Their chart didn't list any pollinators for

the 'Reine Claude Doree' real/original green gage Plum.

If they don't do well here, what other varieties would you recommend for around here. I think scottfsmith said Shiro/Satsuma did really well for him in his plum report, but Rosy Gage was prone to rot (and Coe's Golden Drop was his only less rot-prone Euro plum?).

-Ari

Comments (11)

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Green Gage is hard enough here in southeastern NY. Higher temps would probably make it more prone to brown rot and it needs a lot of spray to prevent rot here. It is also a cracker when rain comes just before it's ripe. J. plums would be easier.

Do you ever see any E. plums down there at farm markets?

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

>>Could 1 Green Gage and a 1 Mirabelle pollinate each other? These are self fruitful, no pollinator needed.

• armyofda12mnkeys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

harvestman, never see them at farmers markets. I did see some cuttings of Gage plums at the local grafting/scionwood exchange in March. I'll have to ask the farmer who provides them next time if he just sprays alot. Guess I can stick with japanese plums.

My mom has a Persian Green Plum growing which i guess is classified as a Euro Plum. Got some plums off it this year... It seems to get Black Knot easily though, trying to fight it off now since it was around base of tree trunk by cutting away the black knot in winter as needed.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Arm, I shouldn't be your the last word on growing E. plums south of me- it may not require much more work to grow them than it does J.plums if you add some Monterey Fungus fighter in the mix when you spray for oriental fruit moth. Multiple summer sprays may be necessary down there to grow any stone fruit. I bet that farmer sprays all his fruit trees a lot.

Scott is closer to you than I am and he hasn't had much luck with E. plums, though but he doesn't use synthetic pesticides.

Japanese plums tend to be at least as susceptible to BK as Euros and Methely is the worst for black knot I grow.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Hi Army, I am in the same zone as you. Last spring I planted three Mirabelles and one Reine Claude de Bavay. I'll let you know how they do. Their first summer all brought new growth and three new feet of height. They are doing well. Mrs. G

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

For me all the Euros have rot problems to some degree. Even Coes all rotted last year. The Gage types seem to all be bad rotters. If you use synthetic sprays you definitely have a better chance. So overall I would say could be worth an experiment if you are up to doing multiple MFF etc sprays and otherwise pass. If you do decide to grow them put in a very sunny spot and prune the tree to an open vase with widely spaced scaffolds. Don't let it incubate the rot.

Scott

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

The gages also tend to crack while many prune types do not except under very warm and wet conditions.

• persianmd2orchard
    11 years ago

I don't think Persian Green plum is E. plum.

My understanding, however, this is only my best guess after having read through a couple Iranian horticulture articles.

J plum = Prunus saliciina
    E plum = Prunus domesticata

Then there are tons of other less common species of prunus plum species not covered by either category (oh hey actually for a nice list of the species simply check wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum#Species).

So in Iran they grow J and E and others. I'm not sure but my guess is all the dried ones that go in stews are E, but J. is just as common in bazaar/homes. In personalized fruit enthusiast orchards though--E varieties might be the preference still.

So my guess if I remember right Persian Green plum was probably actually a wildly growing P. cerasifera.

Not sure if this helps or is of interest but just in case! The link I don't think reveals identity of Persian Green plum, but was among articles I remember reading maybe it can provide you with a lead. I'd google Prunus Iran... prunus domestica Iran... etc and skim all the academic artitcles

Here is a link that might be useful: Iranian plum varieties with pictures

• armyofda12mnkeys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seems like Gages/Mirabelles not worth the trouble. Guess I'll take a look at Japanese ones definately.

>I don't think Persian Green plum is E. plum.
    Hey Pooya, I was the one who emailed you this week about the Persian Mulberry :).
    Btw, RainTree Nursery classifies it on their website in the Euro Plum section but they might have guessed.
    Here is mine earlier this year:

{{gwi:125344}}

-Ari

• persianmd2orchard
    11 years ago

Arian sorry for the late reply! Check your email!

That green plum looks precious! I've never had one fresh of a tree I bet he was nice and crunchy.

I think raintree made a mistake calling it a e. plum. But I am not 100% sure, I could not find the article that explicitly said what type of plum it is in Iran... but I think it was cerasifera--it was an incidental finding buried deep in an iranian plum article. Did you see the pretty pictures of the Persian plums? Yummy.

• ahajmano
    11 years ago

When did your persian green plums break dormancy? I have one that still has not broken in southern California. It feels awfully late considering this is supposed to be an early variety?