Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy apple trees that grow tall?

Posted by chilipete GA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 18:53

Hi,

I was hoping to order an apple tree for fall planting. I want one that will grow huge. My grandmother had one when I was a kid that we used to climb on every summer. It was probably around 30 feet tall. I would like to order one that would eventually grow that tall, but every online source I can find only sells dwarf and semidwarf varieties. Do you know of any reliable sources that sell standard variety apple trees? I am not too concerned about what type of apple it is.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy apple trees that grow tall?

Bay laurel nursery shows they sell 3 apples on standard rootstock (Burgundy, fuji, and gala).

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 21:26

Cummins sells apples on seedling rootstock. If you choose a vigorous variety it will help. Here a Northern Spy on seedling will grow to 45 ft.

o

Greenmantle also sells apples on seedling rootstock.

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.greenmantlenursery.com/fruit/apple-roostocks.htm

o

fedco trees and saint lawrence nurseries both have extensive selections on seedling rootstock

Also anyone you see using bud 118 will be a pretty big tree

o

What are they using as seedling rootstock? Grab a Red Delicious and plant the seed?

o

If you want a standard size tree I would take a drive to Ball Ground GA. and see Mr Lawson. he is one of the expert on heirloom apples and has one of the largest collection in georgia. if you are planting just one tree have him custom graft a tree with different varieties for pollinating. Lawson's Nursery
(770) 893-2141
2730 Yellow Creek Rd, Ball Ground, GA 30107

o

Cumberland valley Nurseries in McMinnville Tennessee is another good source for standard trees. very great prices $6.00 up but they have a min order of a $100 . adress is P.O. box 471 McMinnville Tennessee 37111 1-800-492-0022

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here