Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Oxford Tree

Posted by goudreau Me (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 19:11

Thought I would share; I am seriously starting to fall in love with this variety!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Oxford Tree

Do Tell, How old is that tree? Does it bear every year? Is it a good eater (I was thinking cider or cook only). Where is it growing?
Jim (in SE Mich)

o

Regrettably, it is not my tree.

I found this tree and many like it, in an orchard I found in north-western Maine.
They are better eating December (hard on the teeth right now) and store really well, but are delicious.
You can get standards and M111 from Fedco. Im planning on borrowing some scion wood and bench grafting some on to more dwarfing rootstock :)

o

Jim,
I am also in South East Michigan.
Also very interested in this tree.
I wonder if anyone else in our area has had any luck.
Looks ever darker than Arkansas Black.

o

There was also Arkansas Black a few rows over but it didnt even compare to the beauty and uniqueness of these trees (I didnt care for the taste of the Arkansas either).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here