Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worried about my hass avocado tree

Posted by FarmerArmband CA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 19:35

Transplanted my 8ft tall avocado tree from the container to my yard about 1 week ago. The weather was perfect (around mid 70s). Today it is about 90F and the weather says it is gonna stay like this until thursday. My tree has been suffering from shock and now that the sun is brutally hitting the leaves, some of them are drying up and curling. I've created a shade structure but it's only temporary as it is very unstable. What steps can I take to make sure it doesn't die out on me?

Here is an album with a few photos

http://imgur.com/a/i1Pv8

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worried about my hass avocado tree

did you treat the roots with b-1?

o

Well, timing is rough, for sure, and avocados are extremely sensitive about root disturbance. First off, apply some wood chip mulch under the tree, but keeping it away from the trunk by about 6 inches. If leaves fall, leave them under the tree, do not remove them. Be sure the tree stays watered. Whitewash the trunk with flat latex house pain cut in 1/2 with water. You can also try applying transplant fertilizer (B vitamins) to the roots to help with transplant shock. Can't hurt. Definitely keep the tree shaded. When you plant an avocado tree, the best way to remove it from the pot is to lay it on it's side, and carefully pull the pot away from the rootball without yanking on the trunk. Never carry the tree by its trunk. Then, carefully put the rootball in the hole by holding the rootball, and not the trunk so you don't break off the feeder roots. You may have some leaf fall, but keep the soil moist through our next little heat wave, and hopefully it will revive itself.

Patty S.

o

It looks like I'll buy some b1 and latex paint and see what happens. Thanks patty, you've been helping me a lot.

o

Vitamin B1 won't help.

Water applied directly to the rootball will.

For a while, you'll need to water it just as if it's still in the container because the roots aren't yet in the surrounding soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here