Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_10

kandiyohi grape

just thought I would post a few pics of my neglected kandiyohi(actually all my vines look like this this year had no time to prune any) grape which has some major over cropping :) We harvested close to 100 lbs from this single vine, even thought there was too much to sufficiently ripen before frost it managed to get to an average 16 brix. What do you do with underripe grapes? Juice em!
It is not a very good eating grape I find as it is has a very bland grapey flavor even on a good year. But it is a good novelty if you have the room as the berries get quite large.
{{gwi:125380}}
{{gwi:125381}}
{{gwi:125382}}

Comments (9)

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Did you already have a killing frost? My vines still are green

• glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah canplant,we had two good frosts on Sunday and Monday which is very typical for us in mid October.
    Did any of your grapes produce this year?

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Looks like he didn't.

Hello Glenn,
    How do you compare these to the Valiant, [if you have] or others can answer,..like to know the vigor, taste, seeds, and ripening time against the Valiant.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Konrad I cannot compare to the valiant grape as I do not grow it here. It was a really cold with long cold durations last winter here and I got a ton of die back on the kandiyohi I can assume partly because it cropped so heavily. The flavor is somewhat mild concord like and the texture is slipskin and mushy. Not the best eating grape here at all.
    To my surprise after this good test winter the most hardy table grapes( and also some of the best tasting) were somerset and trollhaugen which showed no signs of dieback and had really good crops which are ripening and are good to eat right now. If you want to grow kandiyohi in Beaumont you would need to lay it down for the winter to have the novelty of huge grapes. I have a few bunches on the vine and they are still a few weeks away from being ripe.

Glenn

Original Author
    9 years ago

oh and yes the juice did turn out o.k. It was a little on the tart side but good. The best and sweetest juice was made using Swenson red,mmmmmmm it is some good.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Thank you Glenn!
    I have to lay down all grapes here, including Valiant out at the farm. We got early frost,..just turning color.

Valiant

Original Author
    9 years ago

nice looking grapes Konrad! what other varieties have produced for you this year? It has been an unusual season this year. It seems that the weather has shifted the ripening schedules of some of the varieties, usually marcheal foch is the first grape to ripen for us here starting in mid august. this year it is just beginning to ripen. The one variety that seems to ripen no matter what is sovereign coronation. It is a really nice flavoured berry which to my taste is very similar to grape kool aid. If you like I can send you a list of varieties I have .

Glenn

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Thank you Glenn,..perhaps later in the winter when I have time study them.
    I put some others in, [have to look at the tags first]..most need a couple more years,..the other one which had fruits was the Germanica, picture,..didn't ripen.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I took some photos and brix readings today of the ripe eatable grapes.
    1st photo germanica brix 17
    {{gwi:125383}}
    2nd photo sovereign coronation brix 17
    {{gwi:125384}}
    3rd photo trollhaugen brix15
    {{gwi:125385}}
    4th photo somerset brix 18.5
    {{gwi:125386}}
    The germanica is almost unpalatable due to the high acid level while the trollhaugen although lower brix is a very good eating table grape. This year was a really cool short year, we just had our first good frost Thursday. Usually most grapes here get from 18 to 20 some brix. I think my best one a couple years ago was Swenson red at about 22.
    The nice thing about somerset and trollhaugen is that they are still good to eat even before they are ripe as they have low acid. If you are laying everything down I would give these two a try.
    Glenn

This post was edited by glenn10 on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 18:20