Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldryder

What is this damage to apples?

see pics. about 1 in 15 had this kind of damage. I spray with immunox before petal fall and twice with "Once and Done" after petal fall.

thx in advance for help.

Mark in MN

Comments (15)

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

Mark,

Check out the site I attached here. I'd say it's coddling moth damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post harvest insect damages on apples

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Cut the apple in half vertically, making certain you also cut through one of those holes.

Then please post an image of the cut surface.

• marknmt
    9 years ago

What they both said above.

Looking at the sting I have to say "codling moth"- looks exactly like what I see in cm damage on my tree. As Jean says, cut into it. You should see the entry/exit paths and the trail of frass. It's often worth your trouble to cut around it, but sometimes the apples are ruined.

Nice looking apples, by the way- much the same color as my Liberties, which, by the way, are real codling moth magnets.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cut apple.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Thanks for the "surgical exploration" of the affected apple.

Well that one is a dud as far as codling moth goes. Codling moth typically bores into the center of the apple and makes a mess of the core. As has been suggested, the damage can often be trimmed out. Excellent images in the link posted by mamuang.

This particular apple may be an example of a codling moth that failed in its task.
    Or it may be a different kind of pest.
    May need to cut into more apples to know.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Might be wasps taking advantage of a previous injury.

• RobThomas
    9 years ago

The superficial damage into the flesh indicates possible stink bug damage.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I don't think it's stinkbugs because they don't actually puncture the skin (in a way that leaves an open wound) and they create a bumpier surface. Stinkbug damage I see has a much different look although they may behave differently elsewhere.

This post was edited by harvestman on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 11:48

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

I think it's bird damage,.. sometimes they probe apples not even ripe.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Coddling moth

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Coddling moth here enters through the stem or calyx and goes straight to the seed cavity which is what is primarily eaten. The fruit isn't touched beyond the entry way.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

H-man,

If you look at the website I attached re. Post Harvest Insect Damage above, The damage on Mark's apple looks like the one on Figure 3 of coddling moth damage, the unsuccessful ones.

Not all of the CM's entries are through stems (many but not all). I had that kind of damage on my apples, too.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Mam, just looked at your sheet and you are absolutely right. The sheet also seemed to explain the other damage shown by the poster on a different post. Oblique headed caterpillar damage might be the source of that injury.

Thanks. I should have checked out the link to begin with- nice photos.

Maybe I just ignored those tiny injuries in the past and they actually occur on fruit where I manage trees.

This post was edited by harvestman on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 11:50

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

H-man,

I like the fact sheet a lot. It answers a few questions of apple damages I have but too lazy to ask. To me, it's one of the links to keep.

• marknmt
    9 years ago

Just bookmarked that page- thank you.