Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What fruit does the best with 6 hours strong sun?

Posted by bhawkins 8a Dallas (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 19:59

Persimmon, pear, or jujube? 11-12 am to 6pm.

I've got a spot, I may as well fill it. Unless I'm just wasting my time. Which fruit does the best with limited sun?

Thanks,

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What fruit does the best with 6 hours strong sun?

Bhawkins,

Persimmons and Jujubes like a warm spot with full sun to ripen the fruits well. I had an Asian pear in a partial shade with about 6 hrs of sun and it produced fruits just fine.

Tony

o

Try Paw Paw trees. Naturally, they grow under other trees and therefore require less sun.

o

Raspberries do awesome in mostly shade. They grow like weeds, even without much watering.

o

Afternoon sun in Dallas also involves major heat. So I'd vote for heat tolerant plants like fig, pomegranate, persimmon, or grapes. They will all produce with 6 hrs sun.

o

Even here in MD 6 hours of sun is plenty for asian persimmon and fig. Go for it.
olga

o

I should have included jujube in my list above. It likes heat and is very drought tolerant. But I find the fruit, while very sweet, totally lacking in flavor.

Figs would be my number one choice for the question posed by Bob. Find the right variety and the fruit is superb. My Strawberry Verte figs are nothing short of sensational.

o

• Posted by AJBB 9b (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 11:57

Persimmon followed by pear. Jujubes want as much sun as they can get, even here in Arizona.

o

Thanks all. Raspberries don't seem to do well in my area. Studying my existing jujube trees,I have to agree they really don't like shade. This spot is very visible from the house, & my wife thinks fig trees look messy, so I guess I'll rule them out.

I just reread Scott's thread "6 hours of sun is no fun", & I'm not sure what will do well in this spot, since there's no morning sun. The shame is many fruits do a little better here if they get a little break from the afternoon sun, but they seem to need the morning light.

At least Persimmons & Asian pears have a chance, & persimmons are pretty trees even without fruit.

Thanks,

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here