Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost burned trees?

Posted by gregkdc1 Ut 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 20:01

How normal is it for new trees to forgo dormancy and get frost burned in the process? I planted a hardy kiwi, pomegranate, saijo persimmon and a fig this spring and all were growing well until a frost about a weak ago wiped them out. All of the other trees in my yard were/are turning color and dropping leaves but these guys got fried. How typical is this and are they goners?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost burned trees?

Very typical, and not just for new trees. Anything still showing rapid growth in September in my area (and likely yours) can experience this.

Plus all the plants you mentioned except for the hardy kiwi, originate in warmer climates with longer growing seasons and thus more susceptible to these early frosts.

In terms of survival, foliage burn is pretty minor, but if it got cold enough (say down into the teens) it might have damaged the wood as well. All the plants you mentioned will probably die back to the ground in your zone without protection anyway, at least when young... Hardy kiwi is very sensitive to late spring frosts, and has not been very successful for me in my likely similar climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here