Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grafting

Posted by foolishpleasure 7B (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 20:38

I have a small tree I rooted from air-layering a branch from my neighbor tree. The neighbor later told me that the mother tree produces a lot of fruits which never rippen and fall down. The tree did that year after year. Being afraid my little tree will do the same I decided to graft branch from a good tree another neighbor has on my little tree. The problem I have the trunk is so short but it has several branches if I go with big cut and remove all the branches I have very little room in the trunk. Another approach is budding on the branches but I am afraid the tree will defeat my purpose and grow its own old branches even if the graft is successful. how can I prevent it from growing its old branches.
Abe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grafting

Abe, go ahead and graft onto the branches, if the trunk is too short to work with. With luck one or more of those grafts will take and then you can decide what route to take. You may be able to simply train one of the new grafts into the dominant position, or you may chose to build a multi-graft tree when the time comes.

It seems late to me here in Zone 4-5 to be grafting, but I don't know anything about your conditions in Zone 7B. I imagine it would be best to wait until late spring and do a cleft graft, whip and tongue, bark, or similar graft, but it depends too on what you're growing. There are other options- most will work in the right circumstances.

What is it you're working with? That could make a big difference to your approach.

Good luck,

Mark

o

Mark
thank you I am grafting Fig trees some of my trees are not self pollinating and need the famous fig wasp for pollination unfortunately fig wasp does not live in my cold climate, I have one self pollinating fig tree and I am taking the scion of this one. I will take your advice and wait until spring to avoid more disappointments.
Abe

o

I've never grafted fig and know nothing about it- others may well give you better advice than I. I hope they'll volunteer their thoughts.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 15:50

Abe, is there something special about your circumstances or the fig variety that you want to propagate that prevents you from rooting cuttings?

Figs are rarely grafted because they are one of the easiest fruits to propagate by cuttings.

I've literally pruned off scion sized pieces of dormant wood and just stabbed them into the dirt and have had some of them take. I'd recommend treating them a little better than that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here