Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Source for Jupiter?

rosefolly
11 years ago

I planted several table grapes a few years ago. There is a lot of competition for space in my back yard now and I've decided to keep only my family's three favorites, the seedless Jupiter and Vanessa as well as the seeded Steuben. The other two are going, Bokay for an uninspiring flavor, and Suffolk Red for poor production (though it does taste good). The problem is that I need to move Jupiter because it is too big for its current spot. I plan to move it to the place Bokay currently occupies.

Of course it is too big to actually move. I think. Are established grapes moveable if heavily pruned? It has been in the ground for 3 or 4 years. This is the first year it produced much of a crop. I would lose a lot of root mass if I moved it. Perhaps someone could tell me if it is likely to survive treatment of this sort.

I was actually thinking of putting a new plant in, wasteful as that sounds. Now I could take cuttings to root, but I would get a year's head start if I could purchase a rooted start. Unfortunately I live in California and most nurseries can't ship grapes here. Stark Bros can, but they aren't offering it this year. Trees of Antiquity and Bay Laurel Nursery both offer some nice grapes, but no Jupiter. Can any one suggest a source that might have Jupiter this year, and are permitted to ship to California?

Would love to hear suggestions.

Rosefolly

Comments (6)