Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Santa Rose Plum

Posted by prestons_garden 9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoC (rpreston1000@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 21:03

"Santa Rosa Plum"

I posted part of this thread in another forum but I didn't get much feedback. I hope this forum will have better input.

It's October and my plum tree is beginning to flower a lot. Should I remove the buds or see if they will produce?

If I let them set, will that hinder next years crop size and taste? (not allowing them to be dormant).

photo DSC00134_zps264c026f.jpg

Also, my Southmoon blueberry is flowering along with my Sharpblue.

Has anyone else experienced this happening in October?

Preston

This post was edited by prestons_garden on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 21:31

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Santa Rose Plum

P...it is pretty unusual for Oct! I would let it be. Our strange Santa Ana/dry/hot conditions really confuse the trees. Next years fruit set may be sparse...but let nature take it's course. You do not want to risk damaging the long-term fruit spurs, as well.

o

I would not worry about it, the flowers will drop off by themself. Next years flowers will probably be light, but nothing you can do about it. The chilling requirement for Santa Rosa is between 300 and 500 hours depending on which variety of Santa Rosa you have. Is your chilling hours on the edge for this tree? Al

o
RE: Santa Rosa Plum

fireduck,

The weather we had recently was also a possibility until I called a few nurseries and none of their Santa Rosa Plums were blooming.

calistoga,

I don't believe the chill hours are even close, one bad thing about living in Orange County.

I will let it grow and see if fruit sets, if it does, I must have done something right and thanks for the feedback.

Preston

o

Earlier this month I picked up a new 5g nectarine from a large nursery in Ventura Co (inland not coastal) It had a couple of blooms on it. No idea why it would decide it was spring, we had had little cooler weather. Only a few on my tree and it is new so I was not worried about fruit set.

But it is odd.

o

I have had it happen on some of my first year trees in the past. The trees get drought stressed and go dormant. Then bounce back in the fall when it starts to cool off. As a result they bloom and leaf out in the fall instead of going dormant.

o

econ0003,

Interesting analogy.

The tree is 5 years old and in a container. It has never been a good producer if any fruit at all. I think even if the fruit does set, I doubt they would very good due to lack of sun this time of year. I picked a few large blueberries from the Southmoon and they had very little flavor.

Has anyone experienced off season fruit that has very good flavors?

Preston

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here