Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify apple variety

Posted by scmtns 9b Sunset 15 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 21:03

My friend has a wonderful apple tree that has been in her Saratoga, California (climate similar to San Jose?) yard for at least 30 years. She doesn't know its name; her father planted it when she was a child. The fruit is very crisp, usually green and red striped, and a good size (3"+ diameter) The fruit is now yellow and red maybe because it's later in the season or maybe because they've been on the tree a long time. The tree is 10' tall. I have photos of the tree and the leaves, but can't figure out how to post more than 1 photo. If I knew its name, I could try to find one at a nursery. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify apple variety

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 22:42

Possibly Gravenstein. It's very common on the central coast of CA.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures Gravenstein apple

o

I was thinking the same but wouldn't that be way too late for ripening?
Or... When what the pic taken?

o

• Posted by scmtns 9b Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 14:40

Thanks for the responses. I took the photo yesterday, Sunday, 28 October. It is late season for this apple. There are only 5-6 apples left, and they are more yellow than green as they were earlier in the season. I'm attaching a photo of the tree (also taken yesterday). There are 2-3 apples at the top of the tree. The tree is at least 10 feet tall, if that information helps at all.

o

Gravensteins ripen so early that they are not offered for sale in early October at a major apple festival.

I have been offered ripe Gravensteins in late August at family reunions.

o

Sierra Beauty? one of my favorite apples, everyone should have one. Keeps forever, delicious flavor, good for pies and fresh eating.

Carla in Sac

o

Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 10:13

Carla in Sac,
Thanks for the response. That might be the one. That tree produces the best apples.

o

Find someone to graft you a couple of new trees using scion wood from that tree. That's the only way you can guarantee you get the same fruit.

o

Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 3:28

To: Oregonwoodsmoke
Thanks for the suggestion. We plan to try grafting onto a gala apple tree in the same yard. The gala tree looks healthy, but it hasn't produced many apples. It's also quite young. We've read a bit about grafting, and I believe that Spring is the time to do it. I would appreciate any advice about when and which grafting method.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here