Dewberry

Raspberry

Gooseberry

Boysenberry

Elderberry

Comments (7)

• gonebananas_gw
    14 years ago

For most plants, fall up through early winter is the best time to plant in z.8, the next several months, though spring planting is OK. Many plants can grow some roots in the winter and it does not get cold enough here for frost heaving. Container-grown stock can be planted now. Bare-root plants shouldn't be dug until fully dormant. (Bare-root pawpaws though should best be moved in very late winter to earliest spring, similar to magnolias.)

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The place I'm planning to get these plants from starts shipping Nov 1 and stops shipping on April 1st, and says that all plants are shipped bareroot. they are coming from Arkansas, if that mens anything. Is it safe to assume (or at least reasonable) that they would ship plants that were dormant, so that they could be planted now?

• gonebananas_gw
    14 years ago

I may have mispoken with "fully dormant," as I meant merely having already dropped their leaves in deciduous plants. Those more-herbaceous or bushy plants you mention may well be more tolerant of transplanting in cool weather with some leaves left on them. Elderberry here is not fully deciduous anyway. Shortcutting nurseries are more inclined to keep digging too late than starting too early, or at least that is my experience.

• gator_rider2
    14 years ago

rjinga if you getting your plants from Pense there in northwest arkansas I think they just had cold weather so this cold are next set dormancy. You can set shipping with Pense I plated thousands from them I always picked jan. first week as shipping date they like ship on monday tuesday are wednesday so get plants that week. If going to plant in soil have fresh bed ready planting go easier faster when I was in zone 8b georgia I did not want to plant after Feb. 1st I always added chicken mature to my soil and mix to get new growth in 4 to 6 weeks on warm days Feb.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I'm planning to get these plants from Pense. I'm not sure I understand your statement gator "I think they just had cold weather so this cold are next set dormancy"

what does that mean, "this cold are next set dormancy"?

I'm also planning to use many of these plants for a fund raiser plant sale, so if they can be planted NOW, that would be ideal, to get them now, pot them up and sell them to local folks who can plant them. OR if they are potted up will that be ok, if they for some reason are not sold til later (early spring)?

thanks for your help

• gonebananas_gw
    14 years ago

BTW: I doubt that there is any gooseberry that will do well in middle Georgia and really not any standard raspberry. MAYBE in Georgia's mountains.

Dormanred raspberry is the best known exception.

• gator_rider2
    14 years ago

I'm going to tell you that you can plant now but don't right that in stone that means only use it this time plants are haveing cold tempature to set dormancy your area is having rain to keep soil moist for transplanting. This may not happen same time next year. This reason I use jan. 1st week as planting date for zone 8 Ga.
    "OR if they are potted up will that be ok, if they for some reason are not sold till later (early spring)?" answer yes. One thing I would surjest about your plant order on barefoot plants always ask for them to leave as long roots as possible on your plants order then when come to you clip roots to save root cutting you may need to order bundle root cutting to see look like there royality on some new plants call arkansas U. they tell how many dimes to send them. Good luck with what doing Dr. OZ had on his program about blackberries stop spider veins in legs if eat them while young I would servive many days in may june on wild blackberries in south Georgia as kid.

Here is a link that might be useful: when no leafs on trees and snow on ground