Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elifius_william

growing apples from seed in a tropical climate

Elifius William
9 years ago

due to the cost of ordering trees i decided to grow a few trees from seed. there are still those who believe that apples just wont grow in a tropical climate, no not in the Caribbean,not in Grenada.i have heard of a few people who have trees and of one lady who has a fruiting tree. for me its the challenge that has me hyped. have 6 trees growing one of which i am going to give to a friend. i have been treating my tress as mature tress and trying to enforce flowering, little did i know of my ignorance when it comes to seedling trees. was going about it wrong, got the trees to grow yes but also did them an injustice by pruning and treating them like any other tree. so i am going to change the way i care for the tress i have now. i have a few sprouting and those who make it pass the month mark will be given the A class treatment. it is my intention to grow these new trees organically but if i discover that the only way to get maximum out put is to use store bought fertilizers then that's the way to go.my main goal with these new tress is to bring them to fruit within three years. will be posting updates as time goes by also will be posting the methods i employ and research i do. would like to know how others are fertilizing they seedling apple trees grown from seed. there is another post here in this forum the addresses the question can apples grow in a tropical climate?, very interesting am hoping that people post updates on trees they have growing and the care they give them.

Comments (19)

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I think you should try somehow to get scion wood to graft onto the trees or the apples will likely not be very appealing to the palate. Only the rare self fertile variety (Gravenstein) has a decent chance of producing fruit anything like the parent.

Northern Spy is a variety that has been used in Africa, partially because the wood naturally roots so you can propagate it directly and get good fruit.

I believe the leaves must be stripped annually, probably a couple weeks before the years shortest day, to create false dormancy.

• curtis
    9 years ago

Apples carry a lot of genes. It is statistically rare to get a good mix of genes in planted seeds. So better to plant the seeds then graft to the small tree. You can graft only a portion of the tree if you want t o try the seeds genetic fruit, but by grafting you are more likely to get good fruit. If you can grow great apples there and pick them only when fully ripe, you will be the king of that place.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    9 years ago

FYI - This website has info about growing apples in the tropics.

Here is a link that might be useful: apples in the tropics

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Wish I could grow bananas in the yard in Arkansas...year round to fruiting :)

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    9 years ago

-In woody perennial plants, the length of the juvenile period is influenced by environment16 and is inversely correlated with vigor. Accordingly, environmental conditions that reduce vigorous growth, such as mineral deficiency, low light, water stress, defoliation or cold stress, tend to delay the transition from the juvenile to adult phase, whereas the conditions that allow for vigorous growth can shorten the period of juvenility. In apple (Malus ÃÂ domestica), where field-grown seedlings typically do not flower until they are at least 5 years old, plants can be promoted to the adult reproductive phase after as little as 10 months under optimal growth conditions. Growing the seedling as fast and vigorously as possible. This can best be achieved by avoiding any check to growth in the early stages of development and, where this is not possible, to keep disturbance to a minimum.-
    Well I donâÂÂt have a greenhouse so I will have to grow the seedlings outdoors. It was also suggested that growing apple seedlings under a 16hr day light schedule also helps decrease the jeuvinile phase, well thatâÂÂs not an option for me. But With the tropic climate here I am hoping that the year round unchecked growth that can be achieved with irrigation will be a plus to give me that first year height 2 Meters and above. Evaluating the juvenile phase of seedlings, Zimmerman (1973) found that the lowest bud of a seedling which may be an indicator of the point of transition to the adult phase occurred at a height of 1.8-2m on greenhouse plants in crab apple. I am hoping this will be the case with my seedlings ( wishful thinking I guess but I wonâÂÂt know if I donâÂÂt try) grown in pots outside. This will be challenging I know but I am going to give it a go. Growing them in pots will allow me to move the plants around to take advantage of the prime spots as the sun move across the sky throughout the year and to give them shelter from storms.
    I am still researching fertilization and will welcome suggestions.
    My soil mix will include coconut choir, sand, bio char, agro-lime and homemade compost. Not the best of materials but they are local and practically free. Still working on a good ratio. Will post it up at a later date. My biggest challenge I believe is irrigation as potted plant do need more attention as far as water is concern. And the pots being outdoors call for more water than indoor plants. May have to use a size bigger pot as that would allow for mulching â¦
    Would love to hear from others growing apple seedlings in pots/containersâ¦

seedlings in pic over a week old

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    9 years ago

almost a moth old

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lovely seedlings

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    9 years ago

transplanted my seedlings into larger pots the plan is to grow them in the pots for ten months or until they get root bound which ever comes first.

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks applenut i do intend to import apples trees if all goes well will place my order late January. if not 2016 for sure. like the video. my plan thou for the seedlings is to keep them in pots till the 2016 rainy season. trying to reduce the juvenile stage of my apple seedlings. growing them in the pots will allow me to have a greater influence on their growth. aiming for 2 meters in height before i plant them out.

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my trees still growing

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

The apples may make good cider. But yes, pretty much rootstock if growing in your own soil (potted).

Fortunately due to Mr. Hauser and his colleagues in Uganda they now know of at least a couple of dozen apple cultivars that are suitable for the tropics. They have even compiled peer reviewed reports of growing apples elsewhere in the tropics.

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that may be so, cider apples are welcomed. i want more just to grow them to fruiting. i have made contact with Mr. Hauser and its just the matter of funds.... maybe next year if all goes well..... update on my plants is as follows

as can be seen in the pic the seedlings have grown many feathered branches....i neglected them a bit and fell out of the routine care schedule. the heat and pest pressure from aphids brought about stress and this is the result ( my unprofessional opinion). they are in plastic pots outdoors in full sun, i now water them every other day and fertilize every Tuesday with a liquid fertilizer.planing on starting a compost tea treatment between fertilization. i am going to leave the feathered branches on as i don't plan on doing any pruning until after the first fruit set.

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    8 years ago

growing apples from seed · More Info

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    8 years ago

8 months in the ground, 8 months of neglect. 3 months of dry season weather here in Grenada to go if they make it through they will be on their way to become mature tress. Trees are all raim irrigated

• Elifius William
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Started a few seeds in st. Lucia

growing apples from seed · More Info

• Petros Sagkos
    7 years ago

Check out these articles

• pembertonroger2
    6 years ago

hi I am growing apple tree from seeds here in Trinidad. what I want to know is how to care for them as a seedling. #grow your own

Elifius William thanked pembertonroger2
  • Elifius William
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hey pembertonroger2 did you get to grow your seedlings how have they done