Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

What's infecting my Fuji apple tree?

newgen
9 years ago

Aside from these white, fuzzy patches at the bottom of the trunk, the tree appears healthy. I get delicious fruits every year. The tree is about 20' tall.
Thanks,
{{gwi:125446}}
{{gwi:125447}}

Comments (9)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

That's woolly apple aphid. I have it also and don't do anything for it because they're aren't good controls. You could trim off those low shoots but it won't really make any difference.

• newgen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I can just spray it off. Will the aphids harm the tree if left unchecked?

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

They can harm the roots. I think malling-merton rootstock was developed in large part to combat wooly aphid infestation. At least I think it was MM...I might be mistaken.

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

newgen

I have the same problem and appear to mostly have it under control but probable not totally eliminated with homemade insecticidal soap. Spray it whenever it appears . You have a lot going on at the trunk that creates a condition favorable for issues. Spray the area and carefully trim all the excess water sprouts and other items away from the trunk. It is worth a try.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

The real issues with woolly aphid are below ground. They infect the roots and cause galls which reduces root function. Anything you do up top won't help the roots. That's the main reason I ignore the problem. But if planting a new tree I'd get one on resistant rootstock. Many of the new Geneva rootstocks are highly resistant.

I've had apples here many yrs on susceptible roots, M9 & M26, and the trees are OK so far. But I've dug up old trees and the roots were highly damaged.

• curtis
    9 years ago

one bug option not mentioned is Diatomaceous Earth. It is a powder that kills bugs because at their level it is very jagged and cuts them causing death by dehydration.

Another thing, you said the tree is 20' tall, that is way too tall and looking at the trunk diameter can easily be pruned back early next spring to get it under control. Do you want to be on a 20' ladder picking and spraying? I'm guessing No, you want it closer to the ground.

When I started on this forum I had a run away tree like yours. Now it is a fat tree with lots of fruit within reach without a ladder.

Pruning is hard to get your mind around at first. Don't take pruning advise from anywhere on the web except here. Every cut should be for a known reason and cut at the right spot. When you understand the concept if is not hard. You can post photos here and get lots of suggestions and explanations as to why.

• newgen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all, this tree is one of three Fuji apple trees that are in the yard. They're all far away from each other. The other two are not infected. I purposely let this one grow tall to act as a wind block for a carambola tree near it.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

The challenge with getting rid of woolly apple aphids is that those on the roots will always repopulate the top growth every growing season.

"Root-infesting populations cannot be controlled with pesticides." See more at the link below -

Here is a link that might be useful: woolly apple aphids