o
Fruit tree ID please.

Posted by tcstoehr Z8 Canby OR (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 21:53

aaa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit tree ID please.

Sorry, I messed up the first post. Here's the actual text.

This tree is growing in Hillsboro, Oregon and is currently ripening. The insides are mushy, sweet and mild flavored. 5-7 seeds are present in each fruit, each seed is about the size of a small pebble. The skin is quite thin, easily chewable.

What could it be? Maybe some type of Dogwood?

o

I guess I answered my own question. After googling "edible dogwood" I found the Kousa Dogwood. Positive ID. Thanks all the same. What a nice tree. Beautiful spring blossoms and tasty fall fruit. What more do you want?

o

The fruit has been described by many people as bland and pasty, similar to an arbutus fruit (strawberry tree).

Perhaps it could be prepared as some kind of fruit butter with spices.

These dogwoods are being more commonly planted as street trees in Portland and make a big sidewalk mess this time of year.

There are some on the next block, I will try a couple of the fruits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here