Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What ever happened to Don Yellman?

Posted by dirtslinger2 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 22:13

He was incredibly helpful to me quite a few years ago, curious if he's still on here under another name- or some place else? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What ever happened to Don Yellman?

Someone asked a year or two ago and Don replied that he felt there were enough others chiming in so he didn't feel the need to answer questions as much. I believe he was posting on the NAFEX list not too long ago so I assume he is alive and well.

Don was also very helpful to me when I started out, this group didn't have too many experienced growers ten years ago. calistoga is the only knowledgeable old-timer I remember from back then who is still active.

Scott

o

Scott,

You, Harvestman, fruitnut and ltilton now carry the torch IMO. You've all been very helpful in sharing knowledge only obtained thru experience.

Now some of us wont have to go thru all of the growing pains.

-Eric
----------------------------------------------------

o

I am glad someone asked this question. Hope all is well with him.

Even though I appreciate many very helpful current members, Don Yellma (Jellyman) is/was my most favorite. He is not only very knowledgeable but also has a great sense of humor. I miss the man!!!

o

I'm glad someone else brought this up. Whenever I read an old post of his I wonder if he's okay. He definitely was an inspiration and I do miss him.

o

Don also had an extremely disheartening growing season 2 years back with stinkbugs piercing his zip plastic bags and almost total crop failure. He was extremely discouraged and I'm not sure if he's got his positive fruit growing spirits back. It was the BM stinkbugs so I doubt if he had quite as bad problems these last 2 seasons as generally they've not been as damaging to fruit since.

I know he wrote that his knowledge was no longer needed here, but I feel that's completely wrong and he was and would continue to be a great asset to this forum if he wished to.

o

I was very fortunate to print all of the advice that Don gave to various posters over the years. Whenever I have a question, I go to my "encyclopedia" for the answer, but I still miss Jellyman very much, and hope he's doing well.

o

I also remember Jellyman. I had a quick Google and, bizarrely, found him posting in January this year on a North Wales Allotment blog!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jellyman

o

I also remember Jellyman. I had a quick Google and, bizarrely, found him posting in January this year on a North Wales Allotment blog!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jellyman

o

A couple of years back I asked the same question. [link]

Here is a link that might be useful: Don

o

Don helped me out a lot when I first started.

Reminds me of the farmers markets around here. Every year there are fewer and fewer farmers selling in my local and no one is replacing them. One market that used to have 5 or 6 farmers now has 1 farmer and 1 baker.

Some die off, some quit and do something else or get too old. Sad the old timers are not being replaced by the young guns in this field. When I talk with young people about it they don't want to be bothered with growing food. I'm no expert myself, but I try to get people interested. Hope Don comes back, he waa a very valuable member here.

o

Lots of young small farmers here in the northeast- serving green markets and the restaurant industry by supplying superior produce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here