Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

What ever happened to Don Yellman?

dirtslinger2
11 years ago

He was incredibly helpful to me quite a few years ago, curious if he's still on here under another name- or some place else? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Someone asked a year or two ago and Don replied that he felt there were enough others chiming in so he didn't feel the need to answer questions as much. I believe he was posting on the NAFEX list not too long ago so I assume he is alive and well.

Don was also very helpful to me when I started out, this group didn't have too many experienced growers ten years ago. calistoga is the only knowledgeable old-timer I remember from back then who is still active.

Scott

• megamav
    11 years ago

Scott,

You, Harvestman, fruitnut and ltilton now carry the torch IMO. You've all been very helpful in sharing knowledge only obtained thru experience.

Now some of us wont have to go thru all of the growing pains.

-Eric
    ----------------------------------------------------
    {{gwi:54837}}

• mamuang_gw
    11 years ago

I am glad someone asked this question. Hope all is well with him.

Even though I appreciate many very helpful current members, Don Yellma (Jellyman) is/was my most favorite. He is not only very knowledgeable but also has a great sense of humor. I miss the man!!!

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

I'm glad someone else brought this up. Whenever I read an old post of his I wonder if he's okay. He definitely was an inspiration and I do miss him.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Don also had an extremely disheartening growing season 2 years back with stinkbugs piercing his zip plastic bags and almost total crop failure. He was extremely discouraged and I'm not sure if he's got his positive fruit growing spirits back. It was the BM stinkbugs so I doubt if he had quite as bad problems these last 2 seasons as generally they've not been as damaging to fruit since.

I know he wrote that his knowledge was no longer needed here, but I feel that's completely wrong and he was and would continue to be a great asset to this forum if he wished to.

• rayrose
    11 years ago

I was very fortunate to print all of the advice that Don gave to various posters over the years. Whenever I have a question, I go to my "encyclopedia" for the answer, but I still miss Jellyman very much, and hope he's doing well.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I also remember Jellyman. I had a quick Google and, bizarrely, found him posting in January this year on a North Wales Allotment blog!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jellyman

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I also remember Jellyman. I had a quick Google and, bizarrely, found him posting in January this year on a North Wales Allotment blog!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jellyman

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

A couple of years back I asked the same question. [link]

Here is a link that might be useful: Don

• keepitlow
    11 years ago

Don helped me out a lot when I first started.

Reminds me of the farmers markets around here. Every year there are fewer and fewer farmers selling in my local and no one is replacing them. One market that used to have 5 or 6 farmers now has 1 farmer and 1 baker.

Some die off, some quit and do something else or get too old. Sad the old timers are not being replaced by the young guns in this field. When I talk with young people about it they don't want to be bothered with growing food. I'm no expert myself, but I try to get people interested. Hope Don comes back, he waa a very valuable member here.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Lots of young small farmers here in the northeast- serving green markets and the restaurant industry by supplying superior produce.