Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael357

golden russet ho hum

Michael
9 years ago

Finally got a decent size crop this year and am not at all impressed with the size, flavor and productivity. Hard, crunchy, not sweet or juicy. I've been sampling for weeks now and the tree is shedding it's leaves, any point in leaving the last 8 fruit hanging? C.M. Really loves the fruit above all of the rest I have, another reason to wonder if I want to keep it.

Comments (7)

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

I've noticed other fruits this year in Kansas are blan that typically are not. I would see what next year brings

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

The last two years, I've gotten some very good Golden Russets from a PYO orchard in late October and early November. This year, I was passing through the area (more than an hour from home, in a direction I rarely go) in late September. I decided to pick a dozen or so Golden Russets, even though I figured it was a bit early. The ones I sampled right away were around 14 brix and not sweet enough. A month later, the last couple I've had have been in the 18-19 brix range and pretty good, though not as quite as good as the 20-22 brix from last fall which were almost perfect to my tastes.

So, letting them hang is good, but if you are concerned about damage (animal predation?), then picking and storing them for a few weeks is also a good option.

I should also mention that it seems to be a somewhat dry apple. I like that, but many don't.

This post was edited by bob_z6 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 0:24

• Michael
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nothing like a hard, dry, tart apple, guess I'll wait another yer or 2 to finalize judgement. I probably don't know how to prune the tree for better production but, being a tip bearer it seems unlikely to ever be as productive as my spur bearers.

• johnthecook
    9 years ago

I tried one from my tree and it wasn't too hard and had a sweet almost pear like taste to it with some juice to it. My tree has lost a lot of its leaves quicker than the other apple trees, may just be the way this variety is. may need a little more time on the tree if its tart.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Mine are mostly too hard and dry up to now but I'm hoping they will get better. I have had really good ones in the past, and a few on my tree were really good this year.

For me I think I did not thin enough, the tree set a huge amount and I did a lot of thinning but should have thinned even more.

Scott

• Michael
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Certainly didn't under thin. As for being a C.M magnet, that's interesting because there was by far more room for my sprays to get to the fruit on the tree than the others. The other varieties had significantly less C.M. damage, go figure. Maybe C.M. targets by sight, the G.R. fruit were sure easy for me to see compared to the other varieties.

• johnthecook
    9 years ago

I ate two more off my tree and they were a little more pear like maybe with some nice juice, Hard not really crunchy, but a nice different kind of apple.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!