Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

most productive fruit trees/bushes/etc. for the space?

Shelley Smith
11 years ago

I would like to grow as much fruit as possible in the space I have, which is rather limited. In the front yard there is room for a couple of small trees, several bushes, etc. as long as they look good (HOA is a pain). In the back, I have room along the perimeter of the 6' wooden privacy fence. I could also hang cattle panels along the inside of the fence for trellising if needed.

Which types of fruit trees/bushes/vines produce the most fruit for the space, and are not too difficult to grow? Basically, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck so to speak. I am considering blueberries, blackberries and boysenberries, maybe a peach tree and a self-fertile almond like All-in-One. I like the idea of hardy kiwi but I'm afraid it might overtake the backyard - any input on this from those who have grown them or seen them?

Comments (6)

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Plant any caneberries at least 3 feet from a fence. And I assume the most productive fruits are the same ones you really enjoy eating. A hundred pounds of berries goes a long ways.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

7a in OK isn't the most reliable climate for fruit. Maybe better than Amarillo where I grew fruit for 30 years. No doubt there the most fruit for the space would be Asian pears followed by apples. The berries aren't even close and almonds bloom way too early. Peaches are in between unless you have a really good area in OK. Grapes might do pretty well, better than berries unless you are eastern OK with acid soil.

Eastern OK would have a somewhat different answer than western.

• glib
    11 years ago

Also with a good selection of apples you will be eating them for six months, just by storing them in the garage. Berries can be frozen (I do have about ten lbs of frozen blueberries, and another 10 made into jam), but it is a lot more work. But all in all, it is best to have a little fruit over a long time, than hundreds of pounds of non-storage apples or Asian pears. That is why I would go with at least one mulberry, some summer fruits, some fall fruit and storage apples or Asian pears.

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

Glib is onto something!

I like cane berries because:

-starter plants are cheap
    -fruit the 2nd year for sure (1st year for primocane rasp.)
    -are one of most expensive fruits per pound at market
    -homegrown are far superior because you can let them fully ripen

Maybe a hardy fig for you as well to add something else not mentioned yet..

• franktank232
    11 years ago

I actually prefer most fruit frozen or fresh. My kids also seem to love it.

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

It depends on what part of OK you live in. Blueberries are kinda picky and only the folks along the eastern edge do well with them. Blackberries do well just about anywhere but will need water the further west you go. I struggled with raspberries when I lived in the center of the state.

I now live on the east coast and grow both fuzzy and hardy kiwis. The vines can get massive but you'll have more fruit in the kitchen if you keep them cut back and under control. You'll have more fruit on the vine if you let them ramble but the squirrels and raccoons will eat most of them.

Pound for pound berries seem to have more nutrients than large fruit and berry bushes and vines are easier to grow but harvesting takes more time.

Peaches grow like weeds but require spraying to keep ahead of pests and disease. A well maintained tree with protection from wildlife can produce a lot of fruit.

I have to grow cane crops out in the open because they sucker really bad and come up everywhere. Out in the open I can just mow around them to stop the spread. If you plant them along the fence they will spread into your neighbors yard.