Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Id-ing an Asian Persimmon..

Posted by queenbee_1 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 22:26

I have an Asian persimmon tree, three yrs old, was sold to me as a Fuyu... This yr, the tree is LOADED with huge, beautiful, orangish/red, cone shaped fruit. They are not quite ripe, so I have no idea if they are astringent or not. Could this possible be a Fuyu or a Jiro? Those are the only two my nursery guy is suppose to carry... Thank you for any suggestions/names/ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Id-ing an Asian Persimmon..

Just Fruits and Exotics has some nice pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: persimmon pictures

o

Fuyu and Jiro have flat bottomed fruit, not cone shaped. Hachiya are cone shaped, and quite large, and common in the trade. They are astringent.

o

Finally broke down and called the nursery where I purchased the tree. Took one over to him and we figured out that it is a Tanenashi! He called the place he buys his seedling trees from and was surprised that they suggested this var. since they have never 'had' it on their lot. It is definitely astringent, It's average is about 6" long.. It was suggested that I pick the fruit when they are orange/red and put each one in a freezer bag. Then when I remove them they will be sweet but very mushie.. Ok for cooking and eating with a spoon... Has anyone used this system??

I guess I will be buying another tree...

o

Queenbee

If the fruit is astringent, red, and excellent flavor, then it is probably Hachiya.

If it is the worst kaki you have ever tasted, then it is probably Tanenashi.

Benny

o

Thanks Benny.. I will be able to tell by Friday. The information I have read says it's very sweet..

o

Well, my persimmons are picked and I have placed them into the freezer--one to a qt. zip-lock bags.. Two were perfectly ripe and they are delicious. They are very sweet but pudding like... Nothing like the Fuyu, I thought I had purchased... There were 59 huge fruits on this (in the ground 2yr)tree... I will be purchasing another Fuyu (hopefully) persimmon, in hopes I will have one to eat fresh--- WITHOUT a spoon. I have decided this is a Hachyia.. Thank you for your help...

o

I'm sure someone else can confirm this or correct me, but I believe slightly under-ripe astringent kakis like you describe are just what you want for dehydrating, and that dehydrating removes the astringency. I don't suppose it would work out of the freezer, because they'd need to still be firm enough to slice, but at least it might be something you can do next year. The one thing I do know is that I received some dehydrated Asian persimmons as a gift from a friend once and they were an absolutely top notch dried fruit, really, really good. I haven't had dried papaya in years, but that's what it reminded me of.

o

cousinfloyd, once the persimmon thaw then it will be too mushy for drying. You just scoop the meat out with a spoon and enjoy the sweet treat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here