Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Larva Eating Raspberries

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 22:27

I have a few raspberry plants, and they are pretty badly infested with a small, green bodied, black headed, gluttonous larva.

Anyone know what this is or how to kill them en masse, please let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Larva Eating Raspberries

This is one of the plants that they are feasting on.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 22:53

few raspberry plants= smash the critters

o

If a moth or butterfly BT will work, If something else spinosad will probably work. Both organic. Any of the powerful synthetics can be used too. Like Sevin, malathion, acetamiprid or pyrethrum can be used.

The pest is probably a species of leaf roller catapillar.
Both organics work on the larvae. But not the eggs. Oil or soap may help?

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 23:18

o

Moth caterpillar for sure, I don't see any rolled leaves, this cat could be one of the "skeletonizers" that leave just the leaf veins.

Many of the above control methods are worth a try. Some labels may include moth larva in the control listing.

o

"Some labels may include moth larva in the control listing."

I think all of them do! I know the organics do. And the others kill everything.

o

thanks, I'll spray tonight.

o

Boy oh boy....that looks like the dreaded raspberry sawfly to me. My Anne's were devastated this year, Heritage less so. I lost a lot of time and crop using BT because I saw what looked like caterpillars of some sort (moth larvae). Sadder but wiser, I strongly recommend Spinosad and maybe something stronger after you've cut the plants back. BT is useless against the sawfly larvae (which are actually wasp larvae). Spinosad, used diligently, can help.

o

If a sawfly, the larva will have legs on almost all body segments, a moth caterpillar will only have a few legs up front and one pair in the rear. Sawfly larva are somewhat hairy and are generally present in the spring whereas moth cats can do damage well into the fall.

o

Raspberry Diseases, FS-1152; Raspberries for the Home Garden, FS-1108; Home Fruit Spray Guide, FO-0675.
Organic seeds exporter

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic seeds exporter

o

EarthenDelight, Am I wrongly assuming that you are a spammer?

No idea what that comment meant, other than getting me to view your website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here